Chapter 8

"Are you coming to join us in the cafeteria, Hailey?" Bailey asks me as we gather up our things after Biology. Abby was standing nearby talking to Anna.

I shake my head. No matter how much the hunger pains hurt from not eating for three days, to avoid smelling the food in the cafeteria, I went to hang out in the library. No one was suspicious with my behaviour. I just had to say I was working on an assignment or catching up on my homework, and they brought the lie. I also wanted to get out of the place so I wouldn't be able to see Matt. I just couldn't face him after kissing him the other day. I still don't know why I did it in the first place. I haven't told anyone what I have done. I can't bear to face the humiliation of telling them. I can't imagine what Matt might be thinking, especially when he hasn't spoken to me since Wednesday afternoon.

"I have some work I need to work on," I answer. "I have to baby sit my brothers after cheerleading, and I want to get most of it done before tonight."

"That's cool. Do you want me to join you and keep you company?"

I wanted to say no, but then I was afraid of what she might think if I reject her offer. Although when I thought of it, having Bailey in the library with me wouldn't matter. She couldn't see me skip lunch. There was no eating allowed in the library suit was one place I could get away with hiding my secret.

I agree to allow her to come with me. Even if I didn't want her to know my secret, at least I had someone to talk to in the library. I can't stand how a library is so quiet.

"Abby, Anna do you want to join Hailey and me in the library?" Bailey asks.

"Um, maybe just after we get something to eat," Abby replies. "I'm really hungry at the moment."

"That's fine."

"Girls, do you think you could continue your conversation outside the classroom," Mr Stanford says. "I can't leave you girls unsupervised."

"No worries, Mr Stanford," Anna says casually. "We're leaving."

We leave the classroom. Abby and Anna leaves us, heading to the cafeteria. Bailey tells me to head to the library and that she will meet me there later. Listening to what she said to do, I headed towards the direction of the library.

I enter the library where a few students were sitting at tables working on their school work, while others were on computers or walking through aisles in search of books.

I find an empty table in the far back behind the aisle away from everyone else. I open up the book To Kill A Mockingbird, and began reading it for English that I have for fourth period. Halfway through chapter eight I became weary, unable to keep my eyes open. All morning I have been exhausted, unable to pay attention to whatever my teachers have been teaching.

I didn't even know I had fallen asleep until Bailey shakes me gently, telling me to wake up.

"Oh sorry," I say, sliding the bookmark inside my book.

"No need to apologise," Bailey says as she takes a seat beside me. "I would have fallen asleep myself."

I rub my eyes. "It wasn't because the book was boring because I like the book. I'm just tired."

"Late night?"

"Yeah." I have been up late, not being able to sleep at all because of the stupid kiss.

"Will you be alright for cheerleading practice if you're exhausted?"

I nod. "I will be fine. Besides, I have to attend practice. The game is in a couple of weeks."

Bailey looks around and then takes out a chocolate bar from her bag. "Would you like some?"

I shake my head. "No thanks."