Chapter Two

Ken looked up at me and said it; "I'm bipolar." I looked at him, then a small smirk spread across my face. "What? What's so funny?" he asked.

"I figured you were bipolar, but why didn't you tell me until now?" I was kind of hurt. Being bipolar is nothing he shouldv'e hid from me. It's not like a deep dark embarrassing secret, and even if it was, we had never kept anything from each other before.

"I don't know. I didn't see it as a big deal - lots of people are bipolar, right?"

"I guess so," I sighed, running my hand through my hair. "How long have you known?"

"A couple months," he shrugged. A bit of sunlight from the crack in the shed shone in, and glistened in Kenton's hazel eyes, that complimented his short brown hair nicely. The only reason Kenton was actually classified as a "geek" and such is because he's a tech' geek. He spent most of his time either with me, or messing with his computer. I think society was ridiculous for placing labels on us as if 'popular', 'nerd', and 'geek' we're all hair products.

Thinking of the subject, I remembered that my laptop was acting up and decided it was time to change the topic. "Hey are you busy later?" I asked.

"No why?" Ken asked, almost excitedly.

"Oh, just my laptop's acting up and I was wondering if you could..." I trailed off as I noticed his depressed facial expression.

"Oh," he said, his facial expression changing.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm just sick and tired of everyone seeing me as the dude you go to when your electronics busted-and I kinda thought you were gonna ask me to go somewhere."

"Awh Ken, you know I see you as so much more than that!"

"It's OK Nikki, I'll fix your laptop," Ken said with a sigh.

"No! I'll take it to the store and see if they can do it. I wanna prove to you that I think of you as much more than just that dude to go to when your electronics busted," I said. Before Ken could respond, the door to the shed swung open as we jumped up.

"Jeez, calm down," said the boy who stood there.

"Jay?" Ken asked standing up. "Jay!" Then he and the boy did some kind of handshake.

"Jay, what are you doing here?" Ken asked.

The boy-or Jay, put his hands in his pocket and shrugged his shoulders. "Well, my mom is away on vacation at Jack, my step dad's house in Florida, so here I am until she gets back, which should be in like three or four weeks."

"Wow, that's awesome!" Ken said.

"Eh-hem," I cleared my thought as I crossed my arms over my chest to signify that I wanted to be introduced.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Kenton said as he took his place next to me. "Jay, this is my best friend Nicole. Nikki, this is my step-cousin Jayden."

"Nice to meet you," I said putting my hand out for a handshake. Trying to be a 'gentlemen', he took my hand in his and kissed it. I snatched my hand back and wiped it.

"Well," he said in disgust.

"Sorry, I'm a little old-fashioned - handshakes are more my thing," I said with a certain attitude in my voice.

"Wow," Jay said as he walked in the shed, holding his head down so he wouldn't hit it on the wall. "I haven't been in here since we were kids."

"Ha, dude-remember the time when we "took" that ice cream from the store and-" Jay started but was cut off by Ken as soon as he realized I was listening.

"Let's save that story for another day, at another time," he said. Jay chuckled as the two trailed off into Ken's house. "Uh, come on Nikki!" Ken called as they were many feet away from me. I rolled my eyes and followed the chatting boys. As Ken gave him a tour of the house, starting with the living room, I went into his room and plopped down on the bed, closing my eyes as I did so. Ken's room was pretty comforting. He had a desk with his laptop on it, some computer editing CD's, a video camera set up in the corner, a flat screen TV, and the rest, were basic essentials.

"And here, is my room," a voice that could only be Ken's said. After that, the light turned on, causing me to groan. "Sorry Nick," Ken said. I hated when he called me that-after all, Nick is a boys name.

"So!" Jay said as I threw all his body weight on the bed, rolling me off of the bed and on to the floor.

"Ow..." When I opened my eyes, Jay was leaning above me while he lay on the bed, smiling. Being the 'disgusting' person I am, I spit at his face.

"Ugh!" he groaned as he wiped his face with his shirt. I smiled to myself as he did so, and after what felt like a long time, I heard someone calling my name.

"Nikki!" Ken yelled as I snapped out of the trance. "Let me help you up," he said reaching out for my hand.

"Oh," I said quietly as I took hold of Ken's hand. He lifted me up and walked away as I dusted myself off.

"You really should be careful," Jay remarked. I simply rolled my eyes at him and turned to Kenton.

"So Kenton, are you busy later?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"Well, actually I was thinking we could go see a movie later," he replied.

"Cool," I said.

"Yup! Just the three of us!" he added, making me sigh. "Something wrong?" he asked, or more like demanded to know.

"No..."

"Nikki, you really need to take a chill pill," he said.

"Whatever."

"I'm going to get some water," Jay said as he left the room.

"Well, I'll see you later," I said as I headed towards the door. Suddenly, I felt Kenton's hands pressed against my back as I forcefully fell down. "Ow!" I yelled. "Ken?!"

"Nikki, why are you on the floor?" he asked.

"You pushed me!" I yelled as I stood up.

"I did? Oh yeah - wait no - I tripped," he said as he picked up a book from the floor.

"OK..."

"Are we still on for the movies later?" he asked.

"I guess so."

"OK bye."

"Bye." I walked out of Ken's room and towards the front door.

"Leaving so soon?" Jay asked as he stopped in the middle of the living room on his way to Ken's room.

"Yeah. See you guys later," I replied.

"No goodbye hug?" he asked, stretching his arms out. I shrugged my shoulders, put my bag on the couch and walked over to him. As he started closing his arms to complete the hug, I pushed him.

"Psyche!" I yelled.

"Really Nikki, you're gonna leave me hanging?"

"Yup!" I said, popping the P as I jogged out the door.

A/N: So? What do you think of Jay so far?

=)

Comment please!