Chapter 19

Lauren POV

   "Lauren." said a voice behind us. Staring passed my mum's head, a boy, a 16 years old boy, a fading pink bruise under his eyelid, staring back at me. Both families, mine and Camila's, stared at him - well scrutinized him - but he gave no sign of caring. All he did was gaze back at me, not leaving my sight. 

"What is he doing here?" my dad murmured but I ignored his comment. Drifting apart from the squeeze I got off my parents, I walked towards Jake, hands in pocket, eyes still fixed on me. 

"Hey you." I said quietly as he half grinned, half scowled at me. 

"Strike." he whispered back. I nodded, knew it. Taking him into my arms, I started to hug him, making sure my hair surrounded us so that no one could make out we were having conversation. 'He called me to tell me about your arrival. Probably did the same to the others.' 

"Sorry about your eyes, are you good?" he nodded. 

"I'm fine. Nothing's fractured, just bruised so I'm cool." he answered. 'How about your parents? Are you going to tell them?' I scoffed. 

"Never. This secret is between us and Camila, and of course Strike. I will bury this secret with me till death, and you must do the same, okay?" he nodded. 

"The girls?" I shrugged my shoulders. 

"I don't know but now is not the time at all." 

"Good." he continued, 'Your excuse for going?' I shrugged my shoulders. 

"I've got no idea." I murmured. 'Do you?' he nodded. 

"Well I told Strike you guys were taking a break from everything and didn't tell anyone because you didn't want any disturbances and because you two wanted to work things out." As silly as it sounded, it was waaayyyy better than telling my parents the truth

   The truth that I am prepared to forget. 

   Without answering him, I said, 

"What about him?" 

"Woke up." I bit my lip. 

"I know that. His condition? Investigation?" I demanded. 

"Nope. None at all." he explained. 'They had to close down the case due to lack of evidence and I'm sure it was down to Strike because the day before, I told him about Br... him waking up.' 

"Fucking legend." I mumbled. Jake let out a slight chuckle. 

"Yeah but a crazy psycho too." I snickered as well. 'We should pull apart. We've hugged for too long and I don't want Camila thinking anything, and of course everyone else.' I rolled my eyes. 

"She won't thinking anything, I'm sure she knows what we're doing." I told him. 'And I didn't propose. Your bestie ruined everything as usual.' Jake moved away from me. 

"But at the end, he helped you so much." he grinned at me before tapping my shoulder, heading for the exit. 'Tomorrow.' he turned to face me, making out a phone with his fingers. I nodded at him, before waving and heading for my family. 

   And of course Jake was correct. I was an eye magnet - attracting too many on lookers; my family among them. 

"What the fuck?" I heard Camila say aloud, then covered her mouth when she realised everyone gaping at her. Ignoring her comment, I ran towards Dinah and hugged her. She whimpered and pulled me towards her. 

"Missed you too Dee!" I suffocated as her hug became tighter and tighter. 

"Why Lauren?! Why did you have to leave?!" she exclaimed, still pulling me closer to her, her cries increasing. 

"Aw Dinah!" I grinned at Camila who was staring at us with a confused face. 'Dee, I think it's time for Normally's hug.' Dinah nodded, allowing me to breathe in oxygen. I caressed her shoulder before grabbing both Normani and Ally and held them tightly, not willing to let go. Just holding each and everyone of them showed me what I had, everything I was about to leave behind. Guilt forced its way to my mind but I shut it out. Everything happens for a reason; because when the puzzle connects, and shows you what life is about, you've got to learn from your mistakes and forget the past.