Chapter Eight

chaptereight: *Your Imagination is Known to Wonder*

            Leslie looked down at her sandwich. Despite the fact that she had made it, she doesn’t feel like eating it. Carter, on the other hand, is almost done with his.

            They were all seated around kitchen island on the bar stools the Mannings had chosen as their kitchen décor. Everyone was pretty much silent.

            It wasn’t specifically a tense silence, but it wasn’t peaceful either. Leslie was absorbed in her thoughts of last night- wondering if they would change anything. Liam, although not as aggressive towards her, hadn’t changed his attitude much. He was polite, but not friendly and Leslie had the growing suspicion that he didn’t remember much (if anything) that had happened.

            “Boy, do I have a story to tell you,” Sam says finally cutting the silence.

            Immediately Carter starts glaring at her, “You swore.”

            Sam simply shrugs, “I lied, besides this unnecessary silence is killing me.”

            Leslie finally interested looks up to fully acknowledge Sam. Liam, sitting a couple of seats over looks up too.

            “So, the reason we got home so early in the morning,” Sam starts referring to the fact the four had stumbled, quite loudly, into the mansion at 3 a.m., “is because Carter-,”

            “Paid for all your expensive ass diners and desserts,” He shoots a quick look to Leslie who tries to hide her smile, “And then needed to make a quick stop to get something from his apartment.” He finishes cutting Sam off.

            “Now Carter, it’s rude to interrupt a girl.” Leo replies smirking, “Much more to interrupt someone with a lie.”

            “Don’t you mean someone Carter instead of something,” Jonah adds also sporting coy smile.

            Carter, looking betrayed, groans, “But you all swore!”

            “It’s your fault you trusted us,” Sam grins, “like you didn’t know we’d have too much fun with your story not to tell Leslie.”

            Carter looking defeated slumps his body on his stool.

            “Now as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, the reason why Carter needs to stay here has to do with a certain someone back home. You see this poor innocent girl was being harassed by him due to the delusional idea that that's the proper way to get a girl’s attention.”

            “Hey! I was not harassing her, I was simply teasing her and she only pretended to be annoyed. I thought it would be a good idea to give her some space so she could miss me…” Carter trails off.

            “So, that’s why you’re here?” Leslie asks perplexed.

            “No, wait there’s more,” Sam interjects, “You see brother dearest here went to your parent’s house to chill for a few days. A few days I’m sure this poor girl spent thanking God for his mercy. Anyways, when he got back to his apartment building, she lives there too, she kept acting the same way she always did. You know, because she has eyes and a brain and Carter is an idiot.”

            Carter keeps his mouth closed, but scowls in Sam’s direction.

            “But the small pea in his head that he calls a brain can’t process the fact that he’s an idiot so he let himself be convinced by Jonah and Leo to go tell this poor innocent girl that he likes her. Only when he got to the apartment building he got so nervous he changed his mind.” Sam takes a quick breath as Carter slumps further down on the stool, “Except it was too late because she had opened the door as he was turning around and since he was already there he had to tell her.”

            Leslie leans in interested. Never in her life had Carter been nervous over talking to a girl or even telling her he likes her. Carter was the epiphany of out-going and he never took any of his girlfriends too seriously.

            “But the incompetent loser can’t choke out the words and instead starts choking for real. Finally, he leans over to throw up, but since he only had a glass of water at dinner- oh look the fact that you’re a cheapo came in handy, “Sam adds as she mockingly smiles at Carter,”- he just gags for a while and then runs out of the room. I’m sure the poor girl will have nightmares about it for the rest of her life.”

             Carter clears his throat as he shoots Sam an death glare, “So, anyways, I’ve decided that I’m taking my two week vacation from work to look for a new place to live. For reasons ridiculously magnified by this one,” Carter juts his thumb in Sam’s direction, “it is obvious I can never go back there. Besides my aching heart-,” He places a hand on his chest, “needs a break.”

            Leslie looks at him as if he’s lost his mind.  

            “So you’re wasting your vacation time and moving over a short moment of embarrassment?!” She asks incredulously.

            Carter nods as if it’s the most logical reasoning he could come to.

            “By the way do you know what Carter does?” Sam comments, “I never actually realized he designs bridges and stuff. I mean I knew he was a civil engineer, but I never actually realized what that meant.” She pauses for a moment, “I no longer feel safe on our public transportation systems.”

            Carter scowls again as Jonah and Leo can no longer contain the laughter they’ve been choking down since Sam started her story.

            “Carter you’re an idiot,” Leslie finally replies getting off the stool and picking up her plate, “And a coward.”

            He frowns, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. They don’t give degrees out to just anyone-,”

            “Apparently they do,” Sam interrupts making Liam grin.

            Carter ignores her comment, “And I need a new apartment anyways.”

            Leslie shakes her head in disappointment before setting down her plate in the sink and walking out of the kitchen. By the way her brother was acting she could tell he more than just liked this girl.

            And love makes you do crazy things.

~~~

            “Hey Leslie,” Liam says sitting down next to Leslie. He leaves a decent sized space between them but otherwise greets her in a friendly manner.      

            Leslie somewhat surprised only nods her head before turning to look back at the screen. They’re both in the living room and Leslie’s watching a random movie that happened to be on at the time she turned the TV on.

            “Did we talk last night?” Liam continues.

            Leslie’s heart lurches. There it is. He’s forgotten last night.

            “It’s just I woke up with somewhat of a hangover this morning and the distinct feeling that you told me something important.”

            Torn Leslie answers, “No, I mean we did talk, but nothing important,” Then when she realizes its quarter to six she adds, “Listen I have to go, but Jonah wants us all to go to the movies at eight so we can just talk then if you want.”

            Shocked Liam just nods his head as Leslie gets up and heads towards the door to leave.

Evelyn's Note: Hey, guys, I know it's been ages, but about three months ago I experienced a horrible tradegy. [If you're curious enough you can search up Jonathan Law High School (in CT) on google and the news articles will tell you all about it.] Anyways, since then I've been busy and not in the mood to write. But, I think I feel better to start doing it again, so hope you enjoy the chapter. Please comment and vote. Thanks!

Song on the side: Facts and Figures by Panda Su