CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR; If You Die, I'll Never Know.

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

It is easier to hate those we love, than love those whom we have hated.

Norman MacDonald

Heath

Usually, when there's a half-naked girl laying beside you, your life is looking pretty fucking ace.

But when your legs are bent and broken in ways you can't imagine, your organs are a blended, mushy mess inside of your body, your head is throbbing so much you're wondering if bunnies a couple miles away are playing some dub-step and you're pretty sure ants are making a nice nest right beside your balls, you're feeling a little less ace and a little more oh my fucking God I'm going to die.

Just my opinion, of course.

Though, it's pretty fucking well informed, let me tell you.

"Hey."

I stare at her, wondering why I took the impact. Why I gave myself these injuries, and not her.

Then I remember I'm 6 foot 3 inches of muscle, and she's nothing but skin and bones.

And boobs and thighs, not that I've noticed or anything.

"Hi." My throat is a desert.

"Are you feeling better?"

"No."

And, to make matters worse, my mood has plummeted. Part of me wants to warn her that I'll be an unpleasant dickhead until I get some medicine and sleep.

But then I remember that I'm always an unpleasant dickhead.

"Yeah. You don't look any better."

"Thanks."

She stares at me, like she's waiting for me to say something else.

I just stare right back at her.

She groans after a few minutes, rolling her eyes and digging her fingers into the soil beneath her. "You're so frustrating."

"Sexually frustrating? Yes." I can't help but bait her. It has taken a turn from tormenting Juliette Soren to teasing her.

I like it.

"No, just regular frustrating. Like a math test or a boy who doesn't like you back."

"Aw, Princess," I flash her a smile. "I do like you back, didn't you get my Valentine's card?"

She looks so unimpressed I'm almost impressed.

"No liking each other jokes. We're not at that stage yet." She grumbles and I roll my eyes. Maybe the pain is still making me delirious.

"So, what? I'll start cracking those jokes in twenty years?" She looks away. "You've gotta lighten up, Soren. We're both in this mess, let's at least have a little fun."

"Fun?" She chuckles, though the girl is in no position to laugh snidely. She looks like she was just mauled by a bear. "Fun for you would be a quick blow-job after every English class."

I consider it. "If you're offering. And, what, fun for you would be monogamy?"

She stares at me for a moment before laughing. Some serious laughter that leaves her broken ribs digging into her and leaves her gasping for longer than she laughed.

"Are you okay?" I don't intend for it to sound bitchy, but it does.

"You really don't know me." She doesn't look surprised. We didn't talk much while I was chasing after her and pushing her off high things as children.