CHAPTER THIRTEEN; Handsome Hayes' and Sex-Crazed Sorens

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

For the poison of hatred seated near the heart doubles the burden for the one who suffers the disease; he is burdened with his own sorrow, and groans on seeing another's happiness.
- Aeschylus.

Heath;

I hate weddings.

I sigh, running my hands through my newly cut hair. It's shorter than it was, but still long enough for my mother to complain, though it doesn't touch my collar anymore.

For the first time in a while, I begin to feel self-conscious. I glare at myself in the mirror, gripping my nose and furiously hoping to massage the bump out of it. The amount of times its broken has ruined the symmetry of my face, causing it to skew a miniscule amount to the right. I know most people wouldn't notice it at all, but I can see it. I notice the crooked nose and the bump. I notice the wonky scar running through my left eyebrow. I notice my stupid crooked bottom teeth, the freckles on my cheek. I notice the circles under my eyes, the small patch of acne to the right of my mouth, the pimple forming beside my nose. I notice all these damn flaws, and hope that nobody else does.

Sure, I have enough confidence to amount to a classroom full of royalty, but I still don't like my imperfections.

And at a Blood event, with hundreds and hundreds of people you're supposed to be better than, imperfections are noticed.

Especially when you're one of the main people with the spot light on them for that Blood event.

I push myself away from the mirror, shaking my head and growling, "Don't be such a sissy." I turn and go back to slipping my black pants on. I grab my white shirt and button it up, sighing as I grab my black tie and slip it around my neck, wondering if I choke myself until I'm unconscious, will they still make me go to the wedding?

I'd rather scoop my eyes out then watch Ben get married to his soul mate.

Soul mate.

"You clean up well, cuz." Says a dry voice from the doorway, and I sigh as I tighten my tie.

"Always the charmer, Piper." I turn to see her and smile. "I didn't know if you'd come or not."

Piper rolls her espresso brown eyes, waltzing in and plonking on to my bed. "As if my parents would let me miss this," She heaves a sigh and falls back onto the bed. "They're adamant that I attend as many Blood events as possible while they can still force me."

"You get to ditch school." I point out, perching on my desk.

"I do nothing in school anyway, just annoy the teachers."

I lean back against the mirror, trying to get used to the feel of my shorter hair. "Well, you just annoy me as well."

"Thanks for that unnecessary comment, Heathie-boy, I-"

"Heath!" Piper's head snaps in the direction of the voice, but I just close my eyes. "Heath, tie my tie." The voice whines.

"You're a fully grown man, Jake, do it yourself."

"But, Heath." I hear him stomp his foot for emphasis.

I sigh, tiredly standing up and opening my eyes to see my older brother tugging at the two ends of his tie around his neck and pouting. His light brown hair is slicked back with gel and he smells of cigarette smoke and expensive cologne.

I take the tie ends and begin wrapping them around and looping while Piper glares at the back of Jake's head. Jake looks bemused as he catches her in the mirror.