CHAPTER SIX; Dinner for the Royal Screw-Ups.

CHAPTER SIX

Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts. 
- Henry Rollins.

Juliette

I know it shouldn't, but it feels weird when my family and I sit around the table for dinner. We haven't been together for so long, and these last few days have been surreal. Watching Dad and Law hang out and talk about cars. Watching Cas trying to torment me, or Perry idolising Sebastian. Watching Sebastian and Cas together again, like best friends reunited at last.

It's all so strange. It's become weird, even though it used to be normal.

But the sad thing, is that it's different as well. They've all grown up, all learned new things and had new experiences. And even Cas and Sebastian – who were practically identical – have drifted apart.

But what saddens me the most are the two empty chairs at the other end of the table. One for Zak who none of us have seen for months, and one for Mom who none of us have seen for years.

It's like there's a big, heavy rain cloud over the dinner table as we sit down and eat. Threatening to break and rain over all of us. Everyone's aware of what happened at school, and Perry and I are completely ignored until Dad's cutlery clatters onto his plate and he runs two hands through his hair, pulling at it in frustration.

We all stop eating and wait to see what happens. Dad grips his hair, and I'm not sure if he's angry or frustrated. Either way, the future doesn't look promising for Perry and I.

"Try and help me understand," He looks over to Perry, blue eyes steely. "When you saw that boy, tell me what went through your head. Tell me what the hell you were thinking!" I haven't seen Dad angry in a long time, maybe because we haven't seen the main Hayes family in a long time.

Instead of flinching back in terror like I know every instinct is telling him to, Perry straightens himself and tips his chin up.

"I did what any of us would've done in my pos-"

"Don't give me that," Dad snaps, hands clenched into fists on the table. "That's not an answer." The strain of being head of the Soren Clann has really taken its toll on my Dad, though I don't see it until times like these, when he's not acting like himself, and instead like a leader of hundreds and hundreds of people.

"He's right, Grant." Sebastian speaks up from his practically horizontal position on his chair. He swirls his fork in his mash potato, staring at the plate. "It doesn't take much imagination to conjure up Heath taunting him. He's a bully, like his brothers. Perry just lost it, it's understandable."

Perry's lips tilt upwards at the support.

"It was really damn stupid, but understandable."

Perry frowns.

He's a bully, like his brothers...

Is Heath Hayes a bully like Eric, Jakub and Ben? Or is he quiet, smart and calculating like Sam and Adam? Could Jakub even be cast as a bully, when in reality, he's smart and calculating as well?

Dad finally nods, but he doesn't seem happy about it.

"I know it's not like you to fight, Peregrine, which is why I was so surprised when your principal called me. It's not in your nature." I wonder what Dad thinks is actually in Perry's nature. And what does he think is in mine? "But if this ever happens again, I'll ground you until college."