CHAPTER SEVENTEEN; Placing Bets and Losing Your Mind.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Hatred is settled anger.
-
Marcus Tullius Cicero.

Juliette;

My family haven't looked at me in three days.

Not a word has been spoken between us, and the air is heavy with things unsaid.

Shouting, I could handle.

Somebody hitting me, I would welcome.

But the silence?

It's driving me insane.

But today, the Tuesday of my third week in Leaf Valley, California, I am going to Parker's house. He's the first friend to invite me over to their place, so it's like a milestone in our relationship. After school, Brody and I slide into Parker's rusty car, bumping along in the back while he takes full control of the radio on in front.

"Turn this country shit off, man!" Brody exclaims, trying to grab his cell phone off me as I hide it behind my back. He lunges, both of us laughing.

"Don't be so aggro, and anyway, I happen to like Trace Adkins. I'm driving, which means I get to decide what we listen to." Parker is ever the firm driver, hands at the correct position on the wheel while he constantly re-adjusts his mirror. He's painfully precise about... Everything.

"Parker," I whine, knowing the voice pisses him off while I giggle and twist away as Brody claws at me for his phone. "Please, I hate country music."

"How can you hate country music? It's, like, the only culture we got."

Brody pulls back from me, rolling his eyes at his best friend's words. "We're West Coast, dude. Our culture is "gnarly waves" and pot." He pushes his bottom lip out at me, fixing his beanie and sweeping his hair to the side. "You're mean, Jules."

I sigh, tossing him his cell phone and sitting up while I watch Parker frown in the rear-view mirror. He sighs, switching the station to a song that's a little more generic.

As we bob our heads along to the music and stare out the windows, Parker speaks.

"Kendrick's having another party next Friday," He catches Brody's eye in the mirror. "Are you coming?"

Brody rolls his eyes, elbow propped up on the window. "You know I never go to those parties, it's awkward as hell and they only invite me because I'm friends with you."

Parker raises an eyebrow, looking back to the road. "As much as I want to admit that my popularity has that power, they invite you because of your sister, Marissa, as well. Plus, her best friend thinks your cute which is another reason for an invite."

Brody's lips quirk up before he shakes his head. "Sarah Miller thinking I'm cute will just get me beat up by her humongous boyfriend, Chris. I'm not up for that, thanks."

Parker just shrugs before saying, "What about you, Jules?"

I blink, having zoned-out.

"What?"

"You wanna go to Colt Kendrick's party next Friday?"

I frown, pulling a face. "Was I invited?"

"You are now."

"No, thanks." A party is the last thing I need right now.

"Come on," He huffs a sigh as he pulls into the driveway of a neat and light green bungalow. "If neither of you go, I'm just going to drag both of you."