Ch 16

a/n: Warning! Physical and mental torture, blood, and a good bit of angst below. (Finian does push past this, I promise)

.....

"So, what do you think?" Synan asked his mate as he turned around.

Quinton let out a low, appreciative whistle. The pewter-haired Nightmare had on a collared shirt with no tie and with the first button undone. His jacket and pants matched the hue of his hair. His shoes were elegant but modern. Overall, he looked ready to take on any corporation, even without that blasted tie. The wheat-blond Unicorn had a feeling that Synan preferred the open collar for both comfort and to show off his silvery, Pisces mating mark.

Quin most certainly approved. "I think you'll be hired on the spot," He admitted.

"I can only hope so," Sy responded, a hint of nervousness in his voice. "To be able to work with the Montcroix is a goal I never knew I wanted."

"You'll be fine." Quin encouraged as he walked over to the Nightmare and gave him a soft kiss on the lips. "I'll be waiting for your call."

"...and if it's the bad news?" Synan questioned.

"Then there are other companies," Quin replied with a shrug. "There are other semesters and other internship opportunities."

"Can I still have a slice of chocolate cake even if I don't get the job?" Sy wondered out loud.

"Baby, good news or bad, that slice has your name all over it." Quin countered with a chuckle.

Synan grinned happily, throwing his arms around his muscular mate.

"You're the best!" Sy announced, nuzzling against Quin's chest. The Nightmare sighed heavily as he pulled back. "I suppose I should go before I jump on you and rumple my suit."

Quin leaned down for another kiss, a much sultrier one that time. "Mmm, I think you better go before I jump on you and rumple your suit." He teased back. However, he forced himself to take a few steps back and pressed a kiss to the palm of one of Synan's hands. "I'm proud of you Sy. Now, go show the Montcroix why hiring someone like you will only be a benefit."

The Nightmare turned and took one step out the door only to turn back to face the Unicorn and leaping into his arms again, wrapping his legs around the blond's waist. He gave Quin a kiss that the taller man felt all the way down to his shaft before hopping off and dashing away. "Better have that slice of cake ready for me, among other things!" He called over his shoulder.

When Synan reached the main path, he shifted into his equine form and trotted his way towards the Montcroix headquarters at a leisurely pace. When he was about a block away, he shifted back into his human form and re-adjusted his suit a bit. He frowned when he saw a brief struggle from across the street. The young man that had been hauled onto a Unicorn's equine back had a familiar face, but Sy just couldn't quite place it. The Unicorns that grabbed him looked familiar, too. They were undoubtedly one of the Elders' henchmen. Should he notify the security guards in the building? Since they were between two buildings, which building should he notify?

The young man's head began to spin as he wondered what he should do first. He frowned as he looked up at the Montcroix headquarters. Royal or not, there was a saying that had persisted throughout the years: One should never keep a Montcroix waiting. Figuring that the Montcroix themselves could do something about what he just witnessed, Synan rushed across the street and entered the building. "Hi, my name's Synan. I'm here for the possible intern position." He told the receptionist so quickly that he had to repeat himself before she could understand.

"Mr. Raj will be right down in just a moment, please have a seat." The mixed Nightmare at the reception desk responded as she quickly dialed Raj's office extension.