Chapter 5 - An Island and A Heir

Chapter 5

(Hiccup's POV)

As Toothless and I swooped over out island, I felt a little spark of pride. After six months of searching for the right island and three months of building on it, Toothless and I finally had time to relax.

The island was bigger then Berk, and much flatter. I had only built on some parts of the island, choosing to leave the rest free for the resident dragons here.

I had built stables, a hut for myself, an inventing hut (don't ask why it is black. I may of had a few ... issues ... with one of my new inventions, possibly making part of the hut to explode), a big house leading into the rock tunnels that doubles as a storm shelter, a training arena and a study. When I wasn't out flying with Toothless, rescuing the odd dragon, avoiding capture and searching for new dragons, I was here.

Ever since I started rescuing dragons from the Dragon Hunters and Dagur, many dragons had come to join me at the Edge. I had trained them all and they knew me and helped protect our home. They all had agreed to make Toothless their leader and he had accepted hesitantly. I could tell that he was a bit uneasy with it though because he knew the Red Queen at Dragon's Nest and didn't want to be anything like her.

I called the island 'Dragon's Edge' because when Toothless and I landed there after a storm, we skidded across some ground before stopping on the edge of one of the cliffs on the island.

Pushing my heel down slightly on the left pedal, I corrected Toothless' tail so that he could circle round the island on a patrol. Clicking the pedal again, we sped up, Toothless letting out a roar. He enjoyed flying at massive speeds as much as I did.

As we passed one of the many cliffs dropping down into the ocean, I spotted four dragons curled together, asleep. Frowning, I directed Toothless over to them. He had noticed them too. Landing gently down besides, I gestured for Toothless to wake them up. I wouldn't dare. I don't want to lose any part of me.

Toothless padded over and prodded the nearest dragon - a brown-speckled Gronckle. It was fast asleep with it's tongue hanging out of it's mouth, dragon drool everywhere. When Toothless saw that she - I could see that the Gronckle was a she - didn't wake up, he growled in her ear.

No response. Poor Gronckle. She about to get an earful from my Night Fury. Believe me, I know from past experiences. Covering my ears, I backed away slightly.

The near ear-shattering roar broke the quiet peace of the forest nearby, sending a flock of frightened Terrible Terrors into the air. The Gronckle woke with a start, along with the other three dragons - a green and black Hideous Zippleback, an orange Monstrous Nightmare and a blie, white and yellow Deadly Nadder. They all jumped up, but the Zippleback's heads and tails got twisted so they were down before they got up, while the Nadder and Nightmare immediately went on the defensive. The Gronckle had hardly moved from her stiff stance, looking at Toothless in fright.

I moved forwards. Now was my chance. When the Gronckle saw me come out from behind Toothless, her eyes widened but she didn't move. Slowly walking over to her, I tried calming the butterflies in my stomach.

What if this only worked with Toothless? What if something goes wrong?

I was so close to the Gronckle by now that I could smell her fishy breath. I could sense her fear, so I willed myself to appear calm. Apparently it worked because she relaxed slightly.

"Hey, it's ok, it's ok. I'm not going to hurt you." I crooned. Taking a deep breath, I slowly reached out towards her snout. She snarled. Just like Toothless.

Ok, I can do this.

I looked away and closed my eyes. Faintly I was aware of Toothless ready to protect me if something went wrong. I waited a few seconds.