Chapter 4 - Discovering the Past

Chapter 4

(Gobber's POV)

It was just after dawn, and already I had a backload of jobs to do. Swords, maces, bows, spears, arrows, chains, axes, they all needed repairing. And I needed help.

Ever since Hiccup died 9 months ago, jobs have been piling up for me. I'm really not used to not having an apprentice, so this sudden change is kinda new in a way. I've been looking for a new apprentice among the kids Hiccup's age, but Snotlout's too full of himself and unskilled, Fishlegs is too into books, scrolls and literature (I can't stand it when he rambles on about old stuff and written stuff and smart stuff - it's just so confusing!) and Ruffnut and Tuffnut are just too darn stupid. Astrid would do but she thinks mostly with her axe and not her head, and I feel like I need a thinker after Hiccup (don't tell her I said that she thinks with her axe! I'd lose my other hand - and my other foot!).

The clatter of spears brought me back to earth. Speak of Loki and he shall appear. It was Astrid with some of the broken weapons from training. She seemed sad.

"What's wrong Astrid? You've been so down lately."

"I-I don't know what you're talking about Gobber."

"Yes you do. It's Hiccup, isn't it."

"What?" she cried. "It's not about Hiccup!"

I gave her a look.

"Ok-maybe-it-is," she mumbled "But don't you dare tell anyone I said that."

I chuckled. "I won't!"

Astrid sighed. "Well, I'd better start my training for the day. Bye Gobber." she walked off, the slump in her shoulders obvious to me.

I sighed. I'll get her to talk one day. I walked over to the back of the shop, looking for some of my scrap metal to help fix the weapons.

Suddenly something tightened around my ankle and I crashed to the ground, falling through a doorway. I heard a laugh that I recognised as the Thorston Twin's and I grumbled in annoyance before getting up. I was about to yell at them for their trick on me, but I was stopped short by the sight that met my eyes.

It was a small room, cluttered and chaotic but somehow organised. Papers, books, drawings and pencils were everywhere and a shelf stood against a wall. Even more sketches were pinned up on the wall, but there was evidence that some had been ripped down. I picked up a drawing lying on the desk and looked at it. My expert blacksmithing eye (if I don't say so myself) immediately saw that the design on it was very complex.

Turning it over, I saw some writing scrawled in the top right-hand corner.

HHH III.

Shock hit me and my eyes widened. This was Hiccup's room. I had completely forgotten that I had this back room and that I gave it to him. And this drawing, this invention, was his.

I grabbed some more drawings, seeing invention after invention, all genius. Each and every one of them had Hiccup's signature on the back. There were at least twenty of these, each one new and exciting. I had an idea.

We can use these against the dragons. Using Hiccup's ideas against the beasts that took his life may avenge him. I have to show Stoick!

As I was turning around to go to the Great Hall where the Chief would most likely be, my bulk knocked a large book off the bookshelf. It landed splayed open and I saw many words written in Hiccup's neat handwriting. Curious, I picked it up and started reading.

Jerc the Jerk (yes, us Vikings continue to be unimaginative) hit me again today. It left a bruise and is really sore but I'm not telling anyone. Well, who would care? Dad thinks I'm a disappointment, I'm just an apprentice to Gobber and everyone thinks I'm useless and a fishbone. At least I got my plans for a new invention finished. I'm not sure what to call it yet, but I'll get there. I want to help in the dragon raids so much and the best I could do would be throwing a bola. I'm not strong enough to completely throw one by myself, but my new invention will do it for me. Now I just need to build it without Gobber's knowing. He wouldn't understand.