Chapter 11 - The Stranger

hi

how's it going.

TW for a bit of blood and a bad word.

xXx

(Ruffnut)

Astrid's always been so strong and steady. Ever since birth, I dunno. She probably popped out with an axe in her hands and was all like 'argh' and stuff. Seeing her collapse in a heap reminded me uncomfortably of her own mortality.

The shadow has yet to turn towards us. I took the opportunity to scramble over to Astrid, picking up her spear from where she dropped it. "If you wanna get to her, you gotta go through me, pal!"

"Yeah!" Tuffnut chimed in from somewhere behind me.

"Stand down," the shadow ordered.

"What?! No way we're gonna do that!" I screeched.

"Not you," it sighed. "The dragons."

"Wha-"

To my surprise, the dragons obeyed. They back off, the Nadder smoothing its tail and the others relaxing, yet still on high alert. The shadow slowly walked towards them, hand outstretched. I'm thinking they're gonna get their hand bitten off, but they make contact with the Nadder's head, calming the dragon down. Okay, that was a little cool.

The shadow finally turned towards us. Behind me, Snotlout made a high-pitched sound at the sight while Tuffnut let out a soft "Woah." It's a guy, dressed in wicked brown and leather armour, a large bag slung over his shoulder. A sword is strapped to his side, so I gripped the spear tighter, just in case he decided to use it. However, that's not what caught my attention. Covering his head is a full-faced mask, holes cut into it so he can see. It vaguely represented a dragon, with ridges and lines decorating it. It's unnerving, and completely awesome.

The shadow-dude stepped closer. "Not another step, buddy," I growled.

He stretched his hands out in front of him in a calming gesture. "I'm not going to hurt you." He motioned at Astrid. "I just want to help. She's been poisoned, and I have the antidote."

"What makes you think we're gonna trust you? You've been following us the whole day!"

"I saved you from these guys, didn't I?" He jerked a thumb at the dragons behind him. They had now lost interest in us and were back to eating. "And I brought you those boars."

I narrowed my eyes. "So?"

"So, let me help her."

I glanced down at Astrid. Her eyes were closed, her skin pale and clammy. Blood dripped from the wound. Veins of poison had already shown on her arm and shoulder, inching towards her heart. She was dying. She needed any help we can get.

"How do we know you won't just poison her even more?" Fishlegs queried.

"Seriously? I'd go to all this trouble just to kill one person?"

"Fine," I spat. "But give us your weapons."

He slowly unbuckle his sword, setting it down and sliding it over the forest floor towards us. Knives from a forearm sheath and a concealed boot compartment join it. A couple of metal cannisters get thrown on the pile as well. Fishlegs crept forward to grab them all, flinching when the stranger's eyes flicked towards him.

The shadow (shadow-guy? shadow-dude? guy-who-followed-us-everywhere?) slowly walked towards us, eyeing the spear I keep leveled at his chest. He knelt and gently inspected Astrid's wound, noting where the spine has pierced her skin. He reached into his satchel.