•°•2•°•

I had been standing still in the middle of my flat for half an hour, now empty bottle was loosely gripped around my fingers. I spent that time panning my eyes around the place, memories and regrets playing in my mind like a cinema. The welcome party, the game nights, the birthdays, Halloweens, New Years...but also the fights, the losses, the death, the regrets. The energy the flat had once given had flipped and gave the opposite. I couldn't help but feel...alone in it. Obviously I was, I now lived alone but it wasn't the same kind of loneliness.

My thoughts went back to the boys from earlier. They were all so jolly and close.

"I wonder what it's like to have friends like them." A whisper escaped my chapped lips as my sight sank to the floorboards. The floorboards with shattered glass with a pine smell.

It sounds cliché but I didn't have many friends left. Some left to move onto better things, some I fell out with and some I really had lost. To death. I had fallen out with my roommate, who was my incredibly jealous best friend, leaving me with a trashed apartment and bills left unpaid. Ones that weren't mine and that I couldn't pay for. And to think that things were just getting better.

I looked that the bottle in my hand. And then at the various bottles scattered around the living room and kitchen.

"Time to make a change." I mumbled, ripping a bin bag from under the sink and swiping bottles into it. Cling after clank I realised how much of a problem I had. Or what was really wrong with me. I figured while I was tidying, I would sort out the rest of the place. So I cleaned the bath and shower, cleared out my wardrobe and under the bed, discarded of my ex-roommates shit and eventually, after three hours or so, the flat was good as new again. The odour of alcohol and sorrow was replaced with new beginnings and new attitudes. Though, I couldn't stop thinking about the boys from last night. Something about them made me feel...hopeful.

Washing my hands in the bathroom sink, I looked up to dread my appearance. It wasn't as bad as I thought to be honest. My skin was decent and there was a small smile on my face. All I needed was to brush my hair and change from the shirt and shorts I had been wearing for the past month.

A knock on my door lifted me from the sofa that afternoon. Wondering who would knock for me I answered it. I was met with the face of one of the lads from earlier that morning. He was wearing a denim jacket with a pastel pink hoodie and black skinnies. He was running his hand through his dirty-blond curls before noticing I had answered.

"Oh! Um, hello. I'm George from last night, my friends and I were wondering if you wanted to have dinner with us at Nandos tonight? It's a thank you for putting up with us last night." He smiled and slid his hands into the jacket pockets clumsily.

"Sure. What time did you have in mind? Not that I'm busy, I'm never busy these days. Jesus that makes me sound older than I am- I'm rambling." You caught yourself out again and shook your head. George chuckled.

"We were thinking 8? And don't worry, it's cute." I chuckled with him.

"8's great. Will see you then, George." As I went to close the door he stuck his foot in to prevent it.

"Wait, what's your name?"

"Y/n."

I didn't immediately get ready after he left. I stood facing the door in silence again. I forgot how much of an outgoing person I was. I wasn't shy. Or girly. I was loud and a bit of a tomboy. Didn't need to rely on makeup or dresses to make myself feel good. I had a lot of confidence in me. Little insecurities because I didn't care what others thought of me. As long as I was having a good time, I wasn't bothered.

19:55, another knock on my door. This time, I looked decent and alive. I had showered and changed clothes. I knew exactly who it was. Slipping my phone, keys and wallet into the pocket of my jacket, I turned the tv off and strode to the door.

George, James and three other boys stood smiling. I smiled back and stepped out, locking the door behind myself. George intoduced Will, Alex and Josh. They were wearing all similar things: hoodies, jeans and a jacket if some sort.

"Sorry, I always look this bad. You guys seem to have a dress code." I joked, smirking and folding my arms, putting my weight onto one hip. The boys looked at each other and groaned.

"Not again. It's really sad, innit?" Alex flipped his hair out of his eye, sticking his hands into the pockets of his flamingo pink hoodie. I giggled again. It felt good. It felt alive. Jokes aside, we made our way to the exit and to our Uber.