8.

Eli
February 25, 2014
8:00pm

"I got the data done for you, sir," my assistant, Amanda, told me.

"Thank you." I grab the manila folder from her and she turned to walk away.

Looking through the folder, I noticed EPT wasn't doing as great as usual.

Sighing, I leaned back in my chair.

I needed to figure out what's been going wrong in our company. Why haven't businesses been contacting us as much as they used to.

Shaking my head, I stood up from my chair.

"This is going to be a long night." I said, just as there was a knock on the door.

"Sir? Will it be okay it I went home? My babysitt-"

"Yeah, yeah. Sure." She sighed.

"Okay, thank you so much!"

"Oh wait, Amanda?"

"Yes, sir?" I chuckled a little. The "sir" thing just didn't feel right.

"What's the name of the coffee shop again?"

"Um, Jelina's?"

"Yes, thanks."

"No problem. Have a good night."

"Yeah, you too."

After she walked out the office, I locked the computer and grabbed my suit jacket and car keys. 

-
Walking into the coffee shop, I couldn't help but to feel like I walked into the most relaxing store in the world.

The walls were a mix of a dark yellowish, orange and there were pictures of many famous people of color hanging up or painted on it.

"Hi! What can I get for you tonight?" The woman behind the counter greeted.

"Uh, can I just get a medium coffee and I guess," I paused, looking at the display of pastries, "and a piece of that crumb cake."

"Would you like it on a plate or a box to go?"

"You can do it to go, I saw that you all close at 8:30." The woman gave a small smile.

"No problem, here's your coffee cup." I thanked her while grabbing my wallet.

"And here's your cake, and I also grabbed you some ice water." I grabbed a five dollar bill, not knowing the price.

"Thank you so much. What was the total?" I looked at the screen, making sure I didn't need more cash.

"Don't worry about it, honey. It's on the house." I looked at her surprised.

"Seriously? No." She chuckled.

"Yes, just make sure you come back." I laughed, putting the bill in the tip jar.

"I will."

Walking away to go make my coffee, my phone rung. I looked to see who it was, shook my head, then put my phone back in my pocket. By the time I looked back up, it was too late as I bumped into someone, spilling my water all over them.

"Ssh ahh!" She yelped.

"Shit, I am so sorry." I quickly placed my items on the table next to me and grabbed some napkins.

"It's fine. Thanks." She took some napkins and wiped her chest and arm.

This was when I finally looked at her face.

"Don't I know you from somewhere?" She looked up at me.

"Um. No, not necessarily. I just went to your house once." I chuckled.

"With the little girls dressed up on Halloween?"

"Yep. That was me. I guess I'm paying for not taking candy." She pointed at her shirt and giggled.

"I'm really sorry about that." I rubbed my hand across my head.

"It's cool, happens all the time."

"Really?"

"No, this was the first." I laughed.

"You're funny." She smiled.

"I try sometimes." She shrugged.

"Is everything okay over here?" The woman from before asked.

"Yeah, we're good Ms. J."

"Okay..." she dragged out, then looked behind the two of us and walked away.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's your name?" I asked the girl.

"Paris, you?" She extended her hand.

"Eli." I place my hand in hers and shook it.

"Eli is your real name or is it Elijah?" She folded her arms and I laughed once again.

"Elijah, if you must know." She tooted her nose.

"Hm. I must." After trying to be serious, she covered her face and burst out laughing.

"You are quite the catch." I complimented.

"Thanks." She blushed.

"I think you should get your coffee," she pointed to my cup, "because we are now closed." She grabbed her things and walked past me, leaving me to my coffee.