Chapter Sixty-Three

Chapter Sixty-Three

Monday

Lake City, LA

“Wake up, Brandon. Wake up!”

Brandon snapped out of unconsciousness. He looked up into the face of the young officer who’d been interrogating him, Jeff Abshire. The cop’s face was flushed and he was out of breath. He stared at Brandon with a crazy gleam in his eyes.

“Okay, kid. No more games. I’m gonna ask you one question and if you lie to me, I’m gonna kick your ass, lock you up, and throw away the key.” He paused to take a deep breath. “What the hell is wrong with the Governor’s daughter? What did you do to her?”

Brandon studied Officer Jeff’s strained face. There was a fifty-fifty chance the man would actually believe him. “I didn’t do anything. We’re both victims here. I’m the one who saved her…” Brandon recounted the morning’s events as faithfully as he could remember them.

Once Brandon finished telling the story, Officer Jeff blinked for what seemed like the first time since bursting into the cell. “Okay, kid. I believe you. Somebody in here doesn’t want you talking, but you’re the only witness I’ve got. I’ve got a deal for you. I’m gonna help you get out of here, and you’re gonna help me put away the bastards that are tearing our city apart. Deal?” Brandon nodded. “Get up and follow me.” 

 “Is she okay?” Brandon whispered to Officer Jeff, as they made their way down a corridor lined with holding cells.

“She’s alive. Now shut the hell up. You’re supposed to be a dangerous killer.” 

I’m out of the net and into the barrel.

Officer Jeff escorted him through a throng of officers and inmates. Brandon wondered if this was a trick designed to further implicate him by making it seem like he’d tried to escape. Unfortunately, Brandon didn’t have many other options. It was either trust this man, or go back to his cell and wait for the Chief to finish the job.

As if sensing Brandon’s unease, Officer Jeff whispered, “We’ve just got a little farther to go.”

They emerged into the central containment area where they’d fingerprinted and photographed Brandon hours earlier. There were cops everywhere. Brandon couldn’t distinguish friend from foe.

“Keep your head down no matter what. Just keep your feet moving.”

Brandon did as he was told. Even if he got out of here, he would be living on borrowed time. No matter how he spun it, without the girl to prove his innocence, he’d be replacing Lincoln in Angola.