Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Forty-Six

Monday

Baton Rouge, LA

“Sorry about earlier. Here.” Shaw untied Coral and handed her an ice pack.

Coral pressed it against her busted lip. Of course it wasn’t cold enough. This guy couldn’t get anything right.

“We got off to a bad start,” Shaw said. “Of course you’re angry. But nothing’s gonna happen to you.”

“A little late for that, don’t you think?” Coral snapped. “You, your brother, and Larry have committed a capital offense. And that’s not even the worst part! You kidnapped a teenage girl and forced my husband to pardon a convicted killer. The man who killed my son. Oh man. You guys are gonna fry.”

Shaw paced before her. She could almost hear his mind working.

“It wasn’t supposed to happen like this.”

“What do you mean? You didn’t mean to kidnap my daughter and me? Just like you didn’t mean to slap the Governor’s wife?”

“Look. What do you want from me? I got these medical bills. Something got into me over there in Iraq. Some bad shit.”

“And Snake promised to take care of everything, right? All you have to do is hold the Governor’s wife in your place of business for a few days. Well I’ve met your brother—he’s worked for my husband for a long time. Never did strike me as a guy playing with a full deck.”

Shaw put his face in his hands. “Aw man. Aw man. Shit. What am I supposed to do?”

Coral knew it was now or never. She stood and placed her hand on Shaw’s shoulder. “Listen to me. You didn’t think this through. Let me help you. If you let me go now, we can forget about this whole thing. We can act like this never happened.”

Shaw looked at her with tears in his eyes. She almost felt sorry for him.

“I can’t do that. Snake’ll kill me. Oh God.”

“Where is he now?”

“He went to take care of that Baker kid. At the hospital in New Roads.”

“You got him pardoned just to kill him? That doesn’t make much sense.”

“No. Not kill him. He has to live.”

Coral was confused. “Why?”

“She needs him for something.”

“Who’s she?”

Shaw ignored her question.

Coral should have known Snake Roberts couldn’t have planned something like this on his own. “What if I told you I could take care of everything?” she offered. “Your medical bills, get Snake off your back. Everything.”

“How you gonna do that?”

“Well, the medical stuff is easy. My husband is Governor, remember? And Snake? Snake may just have an accident. What do you think?”

Shaw nodded with understanding. “What do you need from me?”

“Well to start, a car and a gun.” 

And a prayer!

“What do you need the gun for?”

“We have to make it look like I escaped…” Coral detailed her plan as Shaw nodded in agreement. It was a long shot, but her plan just might work.