Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Friday

Lake City, LA

Randy picked up the pay phone on the first ring. One of the advantages of being a high-ranking public official proved to be a nuisance tonight, as he had to drive fifteen minutes out of his way to lose the state trooper escort. He answered the phone with as much attitude as he could muster. “Speak.”

 “Do you like puppets, Randy?” The kidnapper used some sort of modulator to disguise his voice.

“Puppets?” Randy’s face wrinkled in confusion. “No, I don’t. I just want my daughter back.”

“I’m surprised to hear that, Governor,” the kidnapper replied. “I thought you were a master puppeteer. But even a master puppeteer must sleep, right? Can’t manipulate the strings all the time. Imagine what all those poor puppets do when they’re alone in the shop…”

Randy’s ears were suddenly filled with a roar of static, which he realized was laughter.

“Still waiting for the other shoe to drop, Randy?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I just want to talk to my daughter.”

“Well, everybody wants something, right?” 

Randy’s mind swam with déjà vu. He’d used those same words with Snake just hours ago.

“Randy, are you still with me?”

“Yes. I’m here. Now what do you want from me?”

“I’m going to punish you, Randy,” the kidnapper replied. “But before we get to that, I need you to do some things. When I’m satisfied with your progress, then we can talk about you getting your daughter back. If I’m not satisfied, well, I’d think twice before getting into any moving vehicles, if you know what I mean.”

Randy swallowed the obscenities forming in his throat. He took a few slow breaths.

Let him think he is in control. Eventually, he’ll slip up and then you’ll have him.

“I’m listening.”

“In twenty-four hours, I expect to see a deposit of seven million dollars into my offshore account.” 

“You can’t be serious. There’s no way I can get that kind of money so fast.”

Silence on the other end.

“Are you still there?” Randy asked. “Did you hear what I just said?”