Chapter Sixty-Six

Chapter Sixty-Six

Lake City, LA

“Governor Lafitte? Can you hear me Governor?”

Randy opened his eyes and blinked hard to clear his vision. “Where am I?” he asked through a mouthful of sludge.

“You’re home.”

Randy sat up and saw his Lake City mansion looming over the chopper.

“I apologize for the turbulence,” the pilot said. “This hurricane is a tricky one. It’s turned again and is picking up speed and heading toward Lake City. I know you told me to drop you at the LCPD, but there’s a riot going on down there. Chief Edwards said he’d bring Karen over as soon as he can. I hope that’s okay.”

Randy tried to process the pilot’s words. The hurricane was headed to Lake City? Karen was still at the LCPD? People were rioting?

He watched Melinda Weeps come alive in the foreground as the wind whipped through the leaves. There appeared to be an ominous red aura surrounding the tree.

“Will you need me for anything else, Governor? I’ve got to get this chopper back to Baton Rouge before it’s too late.”

Randy got out of the helicopter transfixed, by the glowing tree in his yard. As the chopper lifted off, he reflected on the pilot’s words. Things were finally starting to make sense. Isaac was tracking him, though he couldn’t tell if it was Isaac the hurricane or the slave Luc Lafitte had hung from the branches of Melinda Weeps. Not that it mattered.

What mattered was that his father had actually killed himself that night. And Randy had sacrificed his own son’s life to this godforsaken curse as well. Karen would not suffer the same fate. It was time to end this. Randy strode toward his home, knowing what had to be done.