Chapter Four

"Seriously, Rachel! Let's go! We're going to be late...again!" Craig hollered from the bottom of the stairs. It was Saturday; the day of the yearly Student Council car wash. But I couldn't find my other flip flop. Why can I never find anything when it matters?

I groaned and slumped on my bedroom floor. It was no use. I couldn't find that flip flop anywhere. I heard Craig thumping up the stairs before my door flew open.

"I don't know how I keep doing this. It's like a super power." In his hand was the missing flip flop.

"Where was it?" I asked excitedly, grabbing it out of his hand.

"Under the kitchen table, of course." He rolled his eyes. Because who leaves one flip flop under a kitchen table? Me, apparently.

I adjusted my bathing suit top and pulled my cardigan over it. "Okay, let's go," I said, rushing past him.

"Finally!" He raised his hands to the ceiling in a hallelujah pose.

We roared out of the driveway and towards the school. I eyed the sky nervously. It was mostly cloudy but the weatherman, yes, the same weatherman that "got it right" last time, assured us that it was going to be a beautiful sunny afternoon. I only hoped he was right. We pulled into the parking lot and most of the group was already there setting up. Hoses and buckets with sponges were lined up in three sections so we could wash three cars at a time.

I shivered as I climbed out of the Jeep, pulling my cardigan tighter around me. I wished I'd worn jogging pants instead of my jean shorts. But most people were dressed just like me.

"Hey Rachel!" Claire called out, skipping happily over to me. She was wearing a skimpy bikini top and super short jean shorts.

"Nice outfit," I murmured. She laughed.

"We wanna make money, don't we?" She sang back, giving her body a little shake. I guess she had a point. Out of the two of us, she'd definitely make more today. My halter top bathing suit and longer jean shorts were just going to have to do.

Joey walked by with a bucket and said; "Lookin' good, ladies!" We both flashed him a smile.

"So where do you want us?" Claire asked.

"Claire, why don't you go with Tony, Craig, and Jenna. Rachel, you can come with me and Rico, and the rest of the gang."

I shrugged and followed him over to the others. I didn't care where I stood.

"How are you doing today?" he asked as he put the bucket down. He straightened up and faced me, his feet shoulder length apart. Typical football stance. He was tall, and big, and he was good looking, but honestly, I didn't feel any sparks. He was nice enough, but he just didn't do anything for me. But he did fit in with my friends. I doubted I'd ever be able to say the same about Cade.

"I'm good. How are you?"

"Better now," he said, trying to flirt. I laughed and then felt relief to see a few cars pull up for a wash. "Let's get to it people!" Joey called out.

###

It was a few hours later when the sun came out in full power. I peeled my cardigan off and noticed Joey watching me. He came over and put his arm around me. "How are you holding up?"

Nonchalantly, I wiggled out of his hold. "I'm good. Happy the sun came out!"

He looked slightly disappointed that I hadn't stayed in the crook of his arm but got over it quickly. "Yeah, it's perfect weather now!"

I heard the revving of his car before I saw him. He was one car behind the car we were currently washing. Cade Miller, in the flesh. I was surprised that he'd come out to support the student council car wash. Technically it was all our friends bringing their cars, or their parents' cars. He didn't really fit. His car didn't fit in either. I looked over and our eyes connected. I smiled and waved but he didn't wave back. He looked angry.