Chapter Seven

Eli's right.

No one recognizes me, let alone either of us, in simple masks and all dressed up. Eli leads me into the palace as if he's just a guest, not the prince. I hold onto his arm as if we're together, not I-don't-know-what-we-are-but-kind-of-together-maybe.

We're back inside the ballroom, where a month ago I swore I never wanted to return. And I did—twice. Because I'm dumb.

Elegant music plays from a live band, and as it picks up, Eli spins me suddenly under his arm, laughing.

"Why are you so happy to be here?" I ask in confusion. "With everything going on with your family?"

"Because I'm here with you," he says as if it's obvious.

He convinces me to dance out the next two songs with him. We recite the typical ballroom style and routines that most are taught if they're rich and are expected to attend these events (or are required to by the New Athens Royal Ballet, as I was).

Everything feels right when I dance with him, and I find myself wishing he truly had joined in my ballet classes when we were children. He had told me he would, but never did. I was sad for a second but being a child who I'm starting to think was definitely ADHD, I forgot and moved on.

When we finish the second dance, Eli leads me to one side of the room where a cluster of people more our age is standing around chattering. "Mave, would you like to meet my friends?"

Friends? He's never talked about them before!

Suddenly, I'm a nervous wreck, but I nod anyway because I'm truly curious as to who these people are.

Eli wraps an arm around my waist and walks me up to the group. Three young women and four young men stand, beautifully dressed, laughing at something one of the women said.

"Hey, guys," Eli says.

"Eli?" one of the men says, peering more closely at Eli. Then he grins. He has a scruffy beard and slicked back black hair. "I didn't recognize you at first!"

"Because I'm trying to hide from my parents," Eli laughs. "I wanted you guys to meet someone." He pushes gently on my back to bring me forward to stand next to him, my side pressing against his. "This is Mave. We grew up together but lost touch until recently."

All of them chorus ununified greetings with bright, genuine smiles. I start to relax a bit.

Eli gestures to each of his friends, starting with the guy with the scruffy beard. "This is Jeff." He gives a friendly wave. "Katie, Anna, Jacob, Ella, Joshua, and Mike."

"Nice to meet you," Katie says, holding out a hand to me. I take it, and she shakes it roughly. She then flips her long blonde hair over her shoulder and smooths out her golden lace-decorated gown.

"You must be pretty special if Eli's decided we were good enough to meet you," Jeff says with a hearty laugh.

I flush. "Oh, uh..."

"She is," Eli affirms, pulling me closer to his side.

I smile at him, feeling as if I perfectly belong in this moment.

"What do you do, Mave?" Anna asks me. She's a petite little thing with very short and very curly auburn hair framing her head. Her nose is slightly upturned, and her mouth appears to be in an almost permanent purse. She looks sweet, though, especially in her long navy velvet gown.

"I—I'm going to be attending New Athens University this fall as a freshman. I haven't declared a major yet, though," I say.

"That's good, though!" Joshua says. He's a taller guy with square framed glasses and slicked back brunette hair. "You'll find what you want to do in time. Enjoy the freedom from your parents. You're eighteen?"