Chapter Three

A week goes by with minimal blackouts for the first time in a while. Part of me thinks it's because I've been out of work and have been a free-loader to my parents, but another part of me believes Eli is the reason. I may have a day when I'm anxious about what my future holds (because I am absolutely clueless at this point), but then I go to the river to see Eli, and we just escape from it all together. We may sit and talk for a while, or sometimes we rediscover places we used to explore as kids.

I know I can't see him tonight, though, because tonight is Ruth's stupid birthday party celebrating how wonderful she is.

I sit on the couch in the living room with my little sister passed out across me, her legs in my lap. We were watching TV together, but once the show ended, I just turned it off and got on my phone to scroll mindlessly through different apps.

My parents sit on the other sofa that is adjacent to this one. Well, my dad's sitting. Mom (who often follows Aria's lead in nap-taking) is curled up close to my dad, her head in his lap while he reads an old book. He utilizes her head as a book-rest.

My parents, ladies and gentlemen.

"You going to watch anything else?" my dad asks.

I shrug. "It's getting late."

"It's seven-thirty."

I glance at the clock on the side table between the two sofas. "Oh." I laugh. "Time flies when you're doing nothing useful with your life."

He narrows his eyes. "Haven't heard from NAU yet?"

I shake my head. "Do you think I was too late?"

"No, there's still time. Just be patient!"

I sigh just as there's a knock at the front door.

A small part of me dies inside every time I hear that knock or a doorbell. Gus isn't here anymore to bark his head off. It's been five years and I still miss the furball.

Aria perks up immediately, magically fully awake. "I'll get it!" she chimes.

In a flash she races to the front door around the corner of the living room and opens it dramatically with a swing of her thin arms. "Charlie! Wow, do you look good!"

What the....

Mom stirs and sits up groggily, and my dad gets to his feet out of curiosity.

Charlie steps into the living room wearing full tux and a red bow-tie. He does look rather handsome. I suddenly know what this is about, though, and it makes me irritated. "Mave, you coming with me or not?"

I open my mouth to reply, but before I can, Aria interrupts. "Of course, she is! Where is she going?"

I roll my eyes. "I'm not going." I glare at Charlie. "I never told you I was for sure coming with you."

He stomps dramatically towards me, throwing his head back and whining, "Maaave! Come oooon! We can get back at Ruth and have a fun time doing it!"

My dad clears his throat. "Now, wait just a minute—"

Charlie turns beet red within seconds. "Oh, gosh! I didn't mean—"

"He wants me to go with him to Ruth's birthday party at the summer palace to make her mad because one, she has a massive crush on Charlie, and two, I'd be the one with him there." There, now they know the whole story.

Mom snorts in amusement. "Oh, you've got to go! What harm can that do? You need to teach that brat how to take the higher ground."

"Wouldn't that be the opposite if I go and rub it in her face that I'm 'with' Charlie?"