Chapter Five

"Agh!"  I cry out.

The burning sensation in my stomach fades rather quickly for once, and my blurry, pounding vision calms. My hearing is a bit muffled, though.

I'm curled up on my side in Eli's lap once again, but this time I'm on the sofa still.

"That didn't seem to be too bad," he whispers to me, gently touching my face with cool hands.

"Is she okay?" Lily's voice asks from somewhere else in the room—it sounds distant. "Do you want ice?"

"A cool washcloth?" Eli asks.

A moment later, I feel a cold, wet, washcloth press against my forehead. I push on the sofa to sit up and put my hand over Eli's so he knows I can hold the cloth myself. He helps me up with a gentle push on my back.

"Is this a normal thing?" Lily demands, sitting back down on the sofa.

I nod. "More or less. It's a lot to explain." I shake my head.

Eli looks at me warily and then glances back at his sister. "We should probably get her back home. But I'll think of some way to help you, Lily. You shouldn't have to be with someone you don't love, especially right now."

Lily smiles at him gratefully, but I can tell she's doubtful. "Just don't cause too much trouble for me. It's not worth it."

He shakes his head. "You're always worth it!" Eli takes my hand and helps me to my feet.

"Before you go," Lily says, but I can't tell which of us she is speaking to. It seems to be both of us.

She grins, her eyes lighting with mischief. "I wanted to say that I hope that whatever this is," she says, gesturing to the two of us, "is something you cherish." Suddenly her eyes grow somber and her smile falters. "It could be taken from you in a heartbeat."

I glance at Eli, but he's just staring at his sister sympathetically.

When he matches my gaze, his eyes soften, holding a silent promise. "We will," he says gently, but it's as if he's telling me rather than his sister.

******

We get back to my house around noon only to find Charlie there talking to my mom in the kitchen.

"Mave! How are you feeling?" he asks, standing up from his chair at the kitchen table to greet me.

He looks as if he's about to hug me but stops abruptly when he sees Eli at my side.

I'm going to die from this awkward situation.

"Better," I say, attempting to hide the uncomfortable look on my face.

Mom stands by the sink and is cleaning dishes, probably to avoid the scene taking place before her.

"Well, it's good to see you feeling better. I just wanted to check in," Charlie says. "I'll see you later."

He ducks out of the kitchen. We stand in silence until we hear the front door shut a little louder than usual.

As soon as he's gone, Mom turns around in a flourish and points a soapy wooden spoon at me. "I want you to talk to that boy before he has his heart completely shattered. Give him some explanation, tell him the truth, I don't care, but I don't want his mother calling me up saying that my daughter has ruined her son's life."

I stare at her, wide-eyed. "Mom!"

"Maybe I could talk to him," Eli offers.

"No!" Mom and I shout at the same time, turning on him abruptly.