Chapter Six

"I just didn't think he would actually confront me," I splutter through pathetic tears.

Eli has me wrapped up in his arms as we kneel in the grass next to the river, in front of our little hideout. I didn't have the strength to climb the ladder. As soon as I saw Eli and he reached me to give me a hug, I collapsed into him in a blubbering mess.

"I didn't either," he murmurs gently.

"I feel so bad! I never wanted to hurt him. He's always been so good to me, and I just ripped his heart in two—all because I can't love him like everyone wants me to."

"Like everyone wants you to?" he repeats in confusion.

I lean back and look up at him through watery eyes. I wipe my nose unattractively. "My mom and his mom always thought we were destined for each other. They'd joke about it when we were younger, but that's all I thought it was. A joke! I never thought he would take it seriously!"

I erupt into another wave of sobs, and he pulls me in again, gently rubbing my back.

"He'll come around, Mave. Don't worry. He expected too much of you, and you didn't deserve that."

"But he didn't deserve that either! Do you have any idea how frustrated I am with myself? It'd be easier if I loved him, but I don't!"

I start to breathe harder as panic settles in further. What do I do when I see Charlie again? What are our parents going to do? Have I ruined their friendship as well as mine?

Suddenly, I'm lightheaded from hyperventilating. Tears still pour down my cheeks.

Eli's arms slack around me and he pulls back to gaze down at me. His dark hair has gotten thicker and nearly brushes his eyebrows. My stomach feels fluttery when his hand slides up my back and cradles the back of my neck. He gently presses his forehead to mine.

"Calm down," he whispers.

"I can't," I whimper.

"Yes, you can. Have you had panic attacks before?"

"When I was younger," I sputter.

"Just breathe." He hugs me tighter, tucking my head under his chin. I press my cheek against his chest and listen to the steady beat of his heart.

Finally, I begin to relax a bit.

"Everything's going to be okay," Eli promises.

"My parents are going to be mad if they find that I've snuck out," I mutter.

"I'm sure they'll understand."

Eli releases his grip on me, and I sit up straighter. I pull my knees in and hug them. "Thank you," I say, staring down at the ground.

"Anything for you," he says.

I look at him sharply and see his hazel eyes locked on me.

He's using you, Charlie's words interrupt my brain.

I lie down in the soft grass and stare up at the star-scattered sky. Eli joins me, our sides pressing together, and he folds his hands together on his stomach. It's as if he's giving me space without actually doing so.

It's comfortable and familiar.

Does it bother you that he hasn't taken an interest in you until now?

Yes, Charlie, it does. But I'm not about to admit that.

I turn my head and glance at Eli, and I see his eyes flicker to me, but he remains transfixed on the sky for the most part.