[20] Unwilling Honeymoon.

Donatella knocks on Dunia's door, "Mrs. Sheikh, may I come in?"

"Yes, please do!" Dunia says.

"Mr. Adnaan Sheikh and Mrs. Sabina Sheikh have arrived. They are seated in the living room." Donatella tells her.

"I'll be right down, thank you!" Dunia says politely. This is the first human contact she's had outside of the staff in the house. She hasn't seen Barqat around since their first night in this house three days ago.

Donatella had given her a tour of the house the day after her Walima, as she was promised. Everything in the house is luxurious and full of such expensive and lavish things but it always feels so empty. Dunia can tell Donatella is careful about her conversations with Dunia because she doesn't want to lose her job or such so she's always polite and keeps the talking to a minimum. It's only been three days but she really doesn't want to spend the rest of life like this.

Dunia sighs to herself and looks at herself in the mirror one last time to see if her shalwar kameez looks presentable. Perfect, she thinks.

Dunia puts on her headscarf and opened the door to her room when she found Barqat standing out the door. She didn't say anything, just looked at him.

"What are you looking at?" Barqat asks.

Dunia stays silent and shakes her head to mean nothing.

Barqat takes her arm and links it around his arm, making Dunia gasp slightly.

He doesn't look at her when he says, "We have to play the part or else they're going to suspect. You have to play your part or else I'll ruin your family's life." He keeps reminding her as if she's forgotten the threat that literally shook her to her core three nights ago.

Dunia takes a big gulp from fear and disgust as she nods.

"I want you to smile. It has to look genuine or else I will be upset, do you understand?" Barqat makes it sound almost like a statement than a question.

Dunia nods again. Let's get this show on the road.

• • •

Barqat's father and mother have come to visit the newly married couple. They were so excited to see how things have developed between the couple since their walima.

Dunia and Barqat make their way down the stairs, hand-in-hand. This makes the smile on his father's face so huge that Barqat thought it might get stuck there.

"Mash'Allah! Mash'Allah! Mash'Allah (God has willed it)! You two look very beautiful together. My Dunia is smiling so brightly, that makes my heart happy." Barqat's father goes on to say.

His mother nods and it is very clear that she's also very proud of this moment, "Mash'Allah, indeed! You two look like you're made for each other."

Dunia's heart hurt from lying to the old, wonderful couple. But she's sure they would be heartbroken if they ever found out how twisted their son really is. Any chance of her revealing the truth slipped away with his parents' hopeful words. Great, just great.

"Please, sit down, Mister and Missus Sheikh!" Dunia motions at sofa.

Barqat's father's smile does not alter, "Please, dear, call me Baba! I am your father-in-law now, after all."

"And call me Mama or Ammi or however as you please, it would make my heart so happy!" His mother continues.

"Yes, of course. Baba, Mama, I will bring you some chai and snacks." Dunia smiles.