Chapter 17

The exploding fireball jolted everyone out of bed, and as Sandy flew off the foot of the bed under her own power, Kyle and Trisha leapt off either side at the exact same time. Trisha landed on two feet, and Kyle landed on four, already completely transformed into his smaller feline form.

Sandy hit the floor and slid to a stop with a squeal as her bare feet cut through the dust. She needed a weapon. She knew this without checking a window, and her instinct told her not to go to the window and let anyone know which room she was in.

If they don’t know already, she thought. After all, Emmett may have just called someone in to deal with Sandy and her friends. It could be the witches or the cats coming in for the attack.

But either way, Sandy needed to arm herself.

She went to the wardrobe and opened the pair of hinged doors out. The hanger rod was empty, and hung from four black wrought iron hooks. Sandy took down the rod and shook her head.

“It’s too big.” She handed it to Trisha. “Bust that in half for me.”

Trisha did, and then Sandy took one half and swung it slowly to test the draw. To keep the charge under control, she opened her mouth and sang, “Hooow— and then shifted to a higher pitch as she ended with “—aah.”

“That sounded goofy,” Trisha said.

“I have to make a sound to contain the energy or I’ll blow the house up.”

“Nice,” Trisha said, a trace of sarcasm creeping into her voice. “You get raw destructive powers, and I get hairballs. The universe is so very cruel.”

Sandy smirked and offered a one-shoulder shrug. “We can switch roles in the next life. Then you can be the tortured heroin, and I can be the ditzy comic relief.”

Trisha’s mouth flapped, and then she grinned. “I see what you did there.”

“So, going out through the window?” Sandy asked.

“Sure, but let me open it first.”

The window led out onto the roof, but as soon as Sandy got outside, she found herself surrounded by cats.

Trisha said, “Can you make a shield?”

“I already—” Four thumps hit the shield coming from the direction of the open bedroom window. Sandy glanced over, and then grimaced as she made the shield sticky to hold onto Maggie, Leon, Ray, and Darlene.

She pulled them through the shield, and then said, “Sorry, guys.”

The cats grumbled as they got to their feet, but quickly shook off the dazes made by their high-speed impacts.

Sandy’s attention wandered up the street at the sound of a motor rumbling. At the end of the driveway, a Corvette pulled in, and then parked. The passenger side door opened, and Sandy’s eyes bulged when her father got out.

He cupped his hands around his mouth, “Sandy, watch out! It’s a trap!”

Trisha snorted and muttered, “Oy.”

Sandy would have reacted the same, but she saw a single cat slink away from the house, making a straight line for her dad.

She came to a decision in a flash and compressed the shield around herself. Already running for the edge of the roof, she shouted, “Don’t fight the cats!”

Trisha said, “But—”

Sandy cut her off, “It’s only me they want, so just stay up here!”