Chapter 4

After helping Leon into bed without waking his folks, Maggie made it home at just an hour past her curfew. The lecture she got was only a half an hour, and then her parents had sent her to the shower because she stank of sweat, both hers and Leon’s.

As she got out of the tub and dried off, she wondered if Sandy was okay. She didn’t trust her cousin, but aside from a mild contact high, Kyle had kept clean with alcohol and other drugs readily available. So if he could avoid those addictions, perhaps he could also ignore his libido.

She pulled on her pajamas, a pair of checked blue fleece pants and a long purple night shirt with Princess written across the chest with faded and cracked white paint.

She was in the middle of brushing her teeth when someone knocked on the bathroom door. Spitting and shutting off the faucet, Maggie asked, “What is it?”

Roger Cartwright, her father said, “Kyle is here, and he says he has to see you right now.”

Maggie’s stomach twisted in anxious knots, but she said, “I’ll be out in a second. Send him to my room, okay?”

“Sure,” Roger said.

Maggie rinsed her mouth and dashed up the hall to her room. She shut the door and glared at Kyle. “Tell me you just danced.”

Kyle opened his mouth, and then sighed. “Go ahead and hit me now.”

Maggie snarled and balled her fist, slugging Kyle’s jaw and sending him spinning to the floor. “Bastard,” she hissed, trying to keep her voice down. “I knew I shouldn’t have—”

“Before you go off on a rant, you need to know what happened, and the punch line to this story is, your best friend is a witch.”

Maggie flinched as if he’d slapped her. “She is not.”

“Oh, yeah, she is.” Kyle rubbed his jaw. “I wasn’t able to be as good as I hoped, so I had that coming. If you want to hit me again to get your anger out, go ahead. I’ll have it coming too, but I was invited to the party because Trisha wanted me to get with Sandy.”

“How do you know that?”

“I’ll start from before you left, because I think Leon got slipped something in his drink to make him sick. That got Sandy’s only allies out of the house and left her clinging to me. I didn’t mean to react to her, but she got really clingy. But it wasn’t really her. After I dropped her off at her house, I started to realize she had only one drink, and Trisha mixed it.”

Maggie clenched her jaw. “Trisha drugged her?”

“Yeah, probably with ecstasy. She kept trying to get me to touch her, and when we went outside, she asked if we could make out and not tell you.”

“So you did?”

“Um...yeah.”

Maggie started to say something mean, but the look of guilt on his face made her realize that he’d been used by Trisha. He was a sex addict, and Trisha had offered him a chance to play with someone who didn’t know better.

She asked, “Did Trisha say anything about Sandy?”

“Yep, she outed Sandy, but she made it sound like she was worried about me hurting Sandy. Now, I think she did it because then I wouldn’t freak out when I got my hand in her panties.”

“Did you?”

“No. I’d just slipped down the strap of her dress when Trisha and her friends snuck out of the closet to snap pictures. Trisha used her phone, and she posted the pictures online.”