Chapter 6

Trisha heard a car door slam near her head, and she tried to jerk away from the sound. She became aware of something covering her mouth, but also of her body being restrained. She opened her eyes and looked down, discovering the reason was row after row of silver duct tape. Her legs were folded so that her ankles were fit against her butt, and her wrists were bound behind her back and then taped to her feet.

She wasn’t going anywhere.

Trisha whimpered, and Sandy leaned around the seat to look at her with a worried pout.

The driver’s side door opened, and Kyle got in without looking at her.

Sandy said, “She’s awake.”

“Yeah, I know.” Kyle started the engine. “That’s why I stopped to bind her. We can’t have her jumping up and making trouble for us on the highway.”

Sandy looked at Trisha, pouting wider. “Can’t we just let her go?”

“No, and you already asked that. She’ll talk to the police and tell them that I have you. Both factions have contacts with the police, so it would only be a matter of time before someone found the truth and came for us.”

“Then what will we do with her?”

Trisha’s heart sped up as she realized her fate would be decided soon.

Kyle was silent for a while before he said, “I’m not sure yet. Keeping her alive is inconvenient. We’d have to keep her prisoner, so we have to feed her and keep her from stinking the place up. There’s always the risk that she’ll escape, forcing us to flee before we have a backup plan.” After another long silence, he said, “Truth be told, I’d much rather kill her and be done with it.”

Trisha whined, and Sandy turned to stare at her, her green eyes full of fear and sadness. For a few miles, they just stared at each other. Trisha pleaded for mercy with her eyes, even if she didn’t believe it would work. She’d been rotten to Sandy, and she couldn’t expect sympathy.

She was truly shocked when Sandy said, “If we kept her alive, I could watch her. I have to stay in hiding anyway, and you’re the only one who can go out.”

Kyle made a non-committal grunt. “I don’t like it. She could slip past you, or she might attack you and then flee.”

Trisha thought of shaking her head, but quelled the urge. If Sandy was going to argue for Trisha’s life, all Trisha could do was wait and see if she was successful.

Sandy said, “I’ll be real careful. Please?”

Kyle glanced at Sandy, his dark face set in an angry scowl that made Sandy flinch away from him and out of Trisha’s line of sight, moving behind the tall seatback.

Kyle looked back toward the road and cleared his throat with a short cough. “She humiliated you in front of her friends and almost drove you to suicide. You would be dead if not for your powers.”

“I know.” Sandy’s voice was low, wounded.

“She was coming over to your house, and I’m sure she planned to blackmail you.”

This was true, and Trisha wanted to explain herself. She’d been knocked out before she could explain that she still had the pictures, and that she’d been lying when she said they were already online.

She’d bluffed to impress her friends. It made them think the prank was crueler than it really was. But she couldn’t explain her bluff with one strip of tape over her mouth and yet another under her chin, wound around the back of her head. Her mouth was very effectively taped shut, so she was reduced to nodding or shaking her head. She could lie outright by shaking her head, but it wasn’t in her best interest to agree with Kyle when it would give him more justification to kill her.