Chapter 5 - Professeur & The Custodian's Daughter

For a second there I thought LeBlanc was going to return argument and say something very severely sarcastic or downright cruel.  I mean, doesn't it hurt a man's pride to get slapped by a woman? That's the impact I was intending.

Instead he just stared and a glint of something other than anger sparked in his eyes.  As quickly as a shooting star it passed and his fury was practically radiating from his body, nostrils flaring.  I was the subject of his stare and I didn't back down, my eyes never lowering even a fraction of an inch while I met his gaze.  I dared him to act against me, to do something vile and inane like I expected him to.  But no... he did the worse of the choice.

"Good day, mademoiselle," his reply came from gritted teeth and was so tense and full of hatred, that if I hadn't already been offended by his behaviour I would have been intimidated.  He turned on his heels and slid into his car without further ado, skidding out of the parking lot in barely more than the blink of an eye.  I crossed my arms and shook my head.  No way was he getting a good report with my dad.  He didn't even apologize.  I had almost demanded he do so before he had left so hastily.

Infuriated still, I almost didn't notice the cars arriving at the University now that the morning was venturing forward.  I sighed deeply before picking up my abandoned suitcase and turning towards the building.  I heard the beep of a few mopeds as I walked to the front entrance, large double wooden doors majestic and modern.  The scenery was not much different from America, but it feels like France.  It smells like France.  I have yet to taste France.  I only wish I could see France, fully.  I felt my jaw quivering from unshed tears and I exhaled sharply, pushing them back.

"Here goes," I muttered as a boost of confidence charged me forward, into the mysterious University.

Oh, the brochures weren't lying!  The halls were contemporary polished wood and smelled of laquered black cherry.  Lining the walls were plaques, bulletin, diplomas, pictures, trophies, and various accomplishments of the students, professors, scholars, etc., and also doors that lead to the classrooms, cafeteria, gymnasium, swimming pool, and other areas I forgot.  To the right and left were the staircases that lead to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors.  "Wow," I muttered at the massive ceiling on the first floor, about 25 feet high.

The halls were slowly beginning to fill with eager students, walking from behind me, towards me, down the stairs, up the stairs, and opening and closing the doors.  I had heard over 6,000 students were enrolled at the University and I was now experiencing the full blown proportions.  It's amazing and hypnotizing.  Occasionaly someone would skid down the hall with a silly grin.  Silly as I was I'd laugh and continue down the hall to the main office.  The place is so huge I really can't grasp it completely.  I can't explain where exactly everything is, and I realize that I need a map.  There had been a map folded inside the brochure and it was in my small travel bag strung over my hip.  So used to it I was, having always carried a bag on my hip, I forget it was there.

Setting my suitcase down near the wall I took the map from my bag and unfolded it, biting my lip in nervousness.  Sure, my classes didn't begin for another 3 days, but I would have to get situated before then.  Unpack my things, tidy up my room, feminize it with flowers and decorations, and explore the area so I wouldn't get lost in the midst.  After a few minutes of pouring over the map I got really frustrated, twisting the map upside down, right side up, side ways.  I even twisted my head sideways to see if it made me see something that I was missing.  God, this map was confusing.  And there was a map for every floor!  And where is the campus?

"Ugh," I muttered in a flustered tone.  With a silly 'study' look on my face, eyes narrowed and lips pursed I forced myself to study the map longer so I could at least know where the campus was.  I didn't want to carry my suitcase around forever.  Why, oh why, hadn't I taken Sir's advice in staying at Boscolo Exedra? That's right...Room fare for that place is a fortune and it's not near the University.  I'd have to ride a moped or bike to school everyday and it didn't sound very appealing knowing that I don't know France very well... but then the idea of traveling I am fond of.  After a few months of settling in.  Still... this map was not getting any easier to read and I wasn't getting any younger.