Part 2. Chapter 15. Grace

------------Part Two.

Chapter 15. Grace

"She was a great child.  Loving, cheerful, and honest.  Lost all her cheer." Nana said.

"Was?" I asked softly.  "What happened?"

There was a hesitation before a vague answer.  "She was hurt very badly."

Of course... but how?  "How? -If you don't mind me asking," I added quickly, seeing Nana's eyes flash with unease.

Nana stopped snipping the hedges and gazed at the grass.  "No, it's alright, darlin'.  Grace was... kidnapped and... treated very badly."

"Tortured?"

"Yeah, why you want to be hearing these kinds of things?" Nana's voice was in pain as she turned back to the hedges and clipped vigourously.

"We can't ignore the problems, Nana.  I know Grace's eyes are missing and I was curious why.  I want to help her." As I continued talking Nana sideways glanced at me.  "I want to figure out why this was done and who did it."

"They already caught him, dear."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.  "When?  Who was it?"

"In 2007.  His name... I don't have the heart to say.  Just some old man..." Suddenly Nana started breathing raggedy and I placed a calming hand on her shoulder.  She sighed from my touch and slowed her clipping pace.

"I'm sorry, Nana.  I want to meet Grace sometime while I'm in France.  I think I can be her friend.  Can we make that possible?"

"Of course, darlin'.  She's coming for hers and Rick's birthday in a fortnight.  She'll be staying for a month afterwards.  You're invited to join us, if you like."

I gave Nana a grateful smile, though I tensed up.  Seeing LeBlanc again?  Not on my list of plans.  "I appreciate it, Nana.  I'll come."

... Later Saturday Evening...

"You think I could come over every Saturday?" I asked Missy and Nana in the kitchen while I was helping them clean up from canning apple butter.  I licked a dripping off my fingers, relishing in the bittersweet cinnamon flavour.

"Sure, hon.  We love your company," Missy answered with no hesitation.

"And your help," Nana added.

I laughed.  "'Course.  I should be goin' now.  I don't like being out when it's getting dark." That was true... among other reasons.  It was about 5:00.

"Alright, darlin'.  Before you go I have something to show you." Nana said.

I nodded while she walked from the kitchen, wiping her hands on the lace apron.  Missy and I wrapped up the dish washing and she sang a song in that distant language I didn't recognize.  When she finished I asked her where she'd learned the song.

"From my gramma," she answered with a peaceful smile.  "It's our native Scandinavian language from the Southern reaches of Russia.  I bet you was wonderin' about the language."

I nodded.  "I was.  So your family is from Russia?"

"Only from my dad's side.  Mum's side is from Poland.  My son-in-law is from France.  We're from all over now, but our true home is Russia, darlin'.  Where are you from?"

"Oh, New Jersey." I said, knowing full well that I'd told her at the airport.  Or at least, I thought I had.

"No, where are you originally from?  It's probably Europe somewhere."

I thought for a few seconds before replying.  I knew vaguely of my own former home... though my parents did not know I knew.  They thought I was too young to remember.  "Italy.  Before that, I don't know." I said.

"Italy! Well you're almost right at home then.  Are you going to visit?"

"I hope so.  On vacation from college."

"Broderick loves Italy, ya know."

My throat jumped and my heart skipped a beat.  The way she said it... sounded like she was recommending him for me.  I had almost forgot that she and Nana were planning to set me up with Brod- LeBlanc.  Damn, I shouldn't have forgot.

"Really?" I asked half-disinterested, my eyes wandering.  Their clock rang 5:00 and I just realized something...

"Yeah, that's where he works all week. He has to ride across the border every day."

"I bet that's tiresome," I said indifferently.

"Not really.  He enjoys the scenery and the long ride relaxes him before he arrives home.  Otherwise he'll be tense and stressful."

Tense and stressful?  I am not surprised...  Does work upset him as much as I do?

"Here we are!"

I inhaled in relief, glad to be saved from talking about LeBlanc any more by Nana's return.  I turned and Nana handed me an old book bound in a soft cotton cloth with lace trim.  On the front was the embroidered name: Grace Elizabeth Emerson.

"What is this?" I asked, taking the book in my hands and running my fingers over the soft book.

"It's her old diary, when she was eleven.  Before... you know."

I looked at Nana with widened eyes.  "Really?  Why would you show me it?  Isn't it personal?"

"Grace once told me... these words exactly, Felicity: If someone asks about me and my accident, give to her my old diary.  This someone must know the true value of eyesight.  She will be my eyes."

I gulped and felt a shudder run through me, squeezing the fabric firmly in chagrin.  "She said that?"

"After being returned to us... yes."

CREAK.  SHUFFLE.  THUD.

I looked towards the kitchen entrance.  The familiar sound of a door opening and shutting caught my attention.  He can't be home yet... It's still only two after five o'clock.  I looked back at the sisters with questioning, alarmed eyes.

"Oh..." Nana tried to feign an innocent look.  "Nephew's home early today.  He called about half hour ago."

"You didn't tell me." I pointed out, trying to hide my discomfort.

"Hi, Aunties!  Is that dessert I smell?!" LeBlanc's voice rang true and clear throughout the house.

"Kitchen!" Nana shouted back in a sing-song voice.

"I have to go to the restroom," I quickly blurted out. 

"You do?  Right now?" Missy asked skeptically.  Ah, she was not seeing through me.  I wondered just how much she knew about me trying to avoid her nephew...

"I've been holding it thirty minutes already," I inched quickly towards the other side of the kitchen that lead to the second bathroom at the back of the house.  Before they had any say in the matter I had disappeared around the corner right when I heard muffled footsteps on the tile floor and his loud voice ringing melodically throughout.  I shut the bathroom door and locked it, leaning my back into the door.  Exhaling deeply, I placed my palm on my chest and closed my eyes, trying to figure out a solution. 

Great, now LeBlanc is going to really... what?  Be mad?  For an honest mistake?  I feel like I'm running from my Frankenstein Fiancee.

Grimacing at myself I flicked my eyes open with a huff.  Looking down I realized I still had Grace's Diary in my hands.  Perhaps I could stall... I could flip through the pages and then make up an excuse that I was sick.  Yes, that would work.  I should wait about fifteen minutes and flush the toilet once every five or so minutes.  That should do.

I sighed.  If there's one thing I know about myself it's this:  I lie worse than a waking dog.