Part 5

Clarke stood nervously in front of her door. After texting Lexa, she had cleaned up her entire apartment including her bathroom. She showered twice and brushed her teeth more than that. She tried to calm herself by playing with her guitar but her frayed nerves led her fingers to play the right chords at the wrong time. Her ear and fingers aching, she put down her guitar and went to the front door to wait for Lexa.

"This is stupid." Clarke muttered to herself as she continued to stare at the door. She decided to just go out and just wait for Lexa outside. She hasn't even fully opened the door when she saw Lexa leaning on the wall. They both looked at each other in surprise

"You're already here?" Clarke said, stating the obvious.

"I was a little early but I didn't want to intrude." Lexa answered with an embarrassed smile.

"I had been standing by the door for about ten minutes, waiting for you." Clarke confessed and was immediately rewarded when Lexa smiled more naturally, making her feel a little less foolish. Clarke smiled back at her, then waved Lexa to come in. She hadn't even locked the door yet when she felt Lexa pin her to the door.

"You were so hot last night. The way you walked all over the stage, the way you fingered your guitar and the way you leaned into the mike to sing. I know you were singing to the entire audience but I felt like you were only singing for me." Lexa huskily whispered to her.

"I was... It was for you." Clarke whispered as Lexa moved in closer. But then she shook her head and struggled out of Lexa's hold. "I... I can't do this. We can't do this. If you want this thing to work between us, you have to break it off with Costia."

Lexa paled considerably and turned her back from Clarke, avoiding her eyes.

"I'm not going behind anybody's back." Clarke continued. "I'm not going to hide in secret. If we do this, we do this the right way."

"I can't do that to her." Lexa said. "I can't hurt her."

"What do you think you are doing right now?"

Lexa did not answer.

"Call your girlfriend, Lexa." Clarke paused. "Your fiancée. You have to decide. And I hope that you choose me because I would choose you."

Lexa turned around and faced Clarke. Her face conflicted with emotions.

"You knew it would come to this."

Lexa swallowed hard and nodded at Clarke, her actions not betraying her emotions. Then without saying a word, she walked passed Clarke to leave the apartment.

***

It has been a quiet month. Clarke have not heard back from Lexa. She nor Costia hadn't returned to the bar. The only thing that gave Clarke a clue that something was happening were the odd looks she had been getting from Lincoln. He often looked like he wanted to talk to her but he never made a move to get her in private.

And Murphy was right. That month, Clarke wrote twenty new songs.

***

Clarke's POV

I'm a musician. I compose music for a living. I write about everything under the sun but of course it all boils down to love or lack thereof. I don't need to imagine anymore. For a brief second, I was in-love and I thought she loved me too. I guess it was just fitting that after experiencing love for the first time, I get to experience my first heartbreak as well.

I was strumming my guitar, warming up for my set that was about to start when Lincoln came up to me.

"I have someone who wants to talk to you."

I looked up lazily, not wanting to disrupt my rhythm. Then Lincoln stepped to the side and there you were smiling at me. Your curly hair, swept up in an untidy bun. In an oversized sweater that fell mid-thigh clothed in tight black pants, still wearing that big black rimmed glasses that served to accent your glittering emerald eyes. I didn't even notice when Lincoln left. It was only me and you, alone in the crowded club.

"I'm sorry, I only came now. There were lot of conversations and arguments to be had. There were lots of packing and moving. And apparently, there were also a lot of plates that had to be broken," you started. "I hope it's not too late."

I looked down and saw your fingers unadorned. I carefully put down my guitar and stood up in front of you. This time it was me who leaned in closer for a kiss.

The End