Chapter 16 - Sleeping in the Garden

"Well, I guess we could go back to my house. My parents are out at my aunt's house, and my brother went with them." I say as we get into Andy's car.

"Alright, that sounds good to me." He says, and he pulls out of the parking lot.

We soon arrive at my house, and as I predicted, all the lights were off, except for the one in my room.

"Well, I guess I forgot to turn it off when I left." I said out loud.

"What?" Andy asks.

"My lamp in my room." I clarify.

He nods.

We walk up the front path and I get my keys out from my purse and unlock the door. I turn the lights on in the living room.

"Make yourself at home, I'm gonna go turn off the light in my room." I tell Andy, and I start to climb the stairs.

As I get closer to the top, I hear the wheezing of mattress springs, and moans. I rush down the stairs.

"I'm assuming you hear it too." Andy says, as I come back into the living room.

I nod.

"They beat us to it." He jokes, and we both awkwardly laugh.

"Come on, it's dark out, but let's go sit in the back garden. We can't hear them if we're out there." I say, and he gets up off the couch and follows me outside.

***

I wake up, and quickly realize that Andy and I fell asleep on outdoor chaise lounge chair.

"Andy!" I whisper, "Wake up!"

"What?" He says groggily. "Oh my God we fell asleep out here, didn't we?"

"Yes, we did. Do you think my parents know? If they do, are they mad?"

"Well, we didn't do anything, so I would think not." Andy says. "Besides, we're both eighteen."

"You have a point, but I still live under their roof." I say.

"I wonder if Martin escaped before your parents came home? If anything, Teresa should be worried, not you." Andy points out.

My mother is making breakfast in the kitchen as we walk in the back door.

"Good morning, sleepyheads! Eve, please stop sleeping outside, I'm starting to think it's becoming a habit." My mother jokes.

"Haha." I say.

"Andy, you can stay for breakfast. I called your mother to let her know where you were, and what happened. Are you guys sore from the chair?" She asks.

Andy and I sit down at the kitchen table.

"Surprisingly, no." Andy says.

My mother gives us toast, eggs, and sausages. Before I can pick up a piece of toast, my mother asks me to go wake Teresa up. I oblige, and as my mom turns back to the stove, I shoot Andy a "oh no" look, and returns it. We have no idea if Martin's here or not!