Chapter 6 - London

The doorbell rings, and I answer it.

It's Grace.

The minute I open the door she brings me in for a big hug.

"Congratulations!" She exclaims.

We break from the hug and I give her a puzzled look.

"Congratulations for what?" I ask her.

"Well, yesterday I went into the drug store with my cousin, Alfie. We were getting some cough medicine for his little sister Beth. My cousins are staying with us. Anyway, as we were checking out, Mr. Greene thanked us for not showcasing public displays of affection in the aisles like the young Mr. Fletcher and Miss Reynolds. I knew it was you because unless Teresa had taken leave of her senses and started kissing one of her boyfriend's best friends." She replies.

I start to laugh. "Yes, that was me. But I don't appreciate Mr. Greene telling the whole world. Do you want to come in?"

"No, I have to go, but I just wanted to stop by and congratulate you."

We exchange goodbyes and go our separate ways.

***
"Over here looks perfect!" I call to Andy.

The weather is nice today, so we randomly decided to have a picnic.

I have the hamper, and he has the blanket. He sets it down in the grass and we both sit.

"I don't want to go back to school," I complain, getting my sandwich out of the hamper. We only have two weeks left before we go back.

"I don't want to go back either, but it is inevitable," Andy says.

We clink our soda bottles together and say cheers.

I like going on dates with Andy. I can just be myself and don't have to worry about saying something weird.

"Hey, the church has a music group, and a whole bunch of us are in it. Martin, Grace, Vince, me, are you interested?" He asks me.

"I would love to!" I start. "But I have no musical abilites and I'm not Anglican. Wouldn't that be weird, me the only Roman Catholic in the group?"

"I don't think so. And, I've heard you sing before. You're really good." He says.

"When have you heard me sing?" I ask, embarrassed.

"Once or twice, I've come to your house to early by accident, and your mum makes me sit in the living room and wait. You sing as you get ready." He says.

I start to laugh.

"Oh dear." I say, blushing.

"How about this: I ask the music director Mr. Howard if it's okay. If so, will you join?"

I nod. "Okay," I say.

***

I'm home alone, flipping through channels on the television, when the phone rings. I get up and go answer it.

"Hello?" I say.

"Eve?" I hear a guy's voice say. It's Dave!

"Dave! You're lucky I'm home alone. How are you?"

"I'm fine. Look, I want you to come visit me."

"You know as well as I do I can't just swan off to London without concerning my parents!"

"I've decided that it would be okay if you brought Teresa, as long as you swore her to secrecy."

"She is trustworthy, when she wants to be."

"Can you come next Tuesday? I have it all planned out."

***

"This is crazy! Us going to see Dave! I should have never agreed!" Teresa says as our train pulls into Kings Cross St. Pancras.

I look out the window and see Dave waiting on the platform for us. I wave, and he sees me and waves back.

We get off the train and I give him a big hug.

"I missed you, you idiot." I say.

"Well that was a nice warm greeting. I missed you too." He replies, laughing.

The three of us leave the station and decide where to go.

We head to a record shop and browse.

Teresa and Dave are catching up, and I pick up Jazz by Queen.

I pay for the record and we continue on our way.

"So, what do you do here?" I ask.

"I work at this club, a lot of the New Romantics go to. I've met a lot of people, it's quite cool."

"Wow!" Teresa and I say at the same time.

As happy as I am for Dave, I miss him. I miss hanging out.

But, if he hadn't ran away, I would never have become friends with Andy, or his girlfriend!

"How's the date you set Eve up with?" Dave asks Teresa.

She giggles. "Great! They're dating now."

He turns to me. "Good for you!" he says.

"Thanks." I reply.

***

The club Dave took us to was very cool. Since it was the middle of the day on a Tuesday, there was no one around. But, I could imagine the place busy and full of life.

Part of me wishes I could have the guts to just run away from everything, like Dave did.

But, I'm ridiculously cautious, always have been, always will be. I'm very average, and I can;t imagine pulling something like that. I care what other people think.

***

"Okay, we have a little less than an hour to get our story straight," Teresa says as we wave to Dave and pull out of the station.

"Good thing I bought a record," I say.

"True. Let's just say we went to Harrods and just walked around the store aimlessly." She suggests.

I shrug. "Sounds good to me."

***

"How was London, girls?" Mom asks as we walk in the door.

"Great!" We reply.

"Eve dear, Andy came by while you were gone. Said something about Mr. Howard saying it was okay." Says Mom, confused.

I smile. "I'll go talk to Andy right now."