Chapter 2- The Pub

After cooling down from the shock, I decide to investigate. I know I'm from 2017, but in my mind all these alternative memories keep flooding in.

I remember being young and living in America. I remember when I was five my father got me a record of Disney's Happiest Songs from the gas station, and I sat by the record player and sang The Bare Necessities all day.

I remember moving here when I was six. My parents decided to move back here to Basildon to be with our family. Their parents came to America and now my parents wanted to go back.

Basildon.

So now I live in Basildon in 1978.

When I lived in a little town in New Jersey in 2017 yesterday.

If this is the fulfillment of my wish, this is not what I was expecting.

But, some of the greatest music is already out and more is coming in the next few years.

I pick up what looks like a diary and begin to read.

Dear Diary,                   September 1st, 1977

Mom, or Mum should I say, because we've lived in England for almost 10 years now, got me this book to talk about school and life. I'm turning sixteen in June. School is starting tomorrow, and I'm not too thrilled. The work is getting harder, and I don't know what I'm going to do after school. We don't have enough money for me to attend a fancy university, that's for sure.

-Eve

                                   September 2nd, 1977

I've decided to stop saying 'Dear Diary' because it's too cliche.
I walked to school with Teresa. She's graduating this year. I compared schedules with my friends. Lunch with Jules, science with Grace and Dave.
Got to go - dinner is ready
-Eve

The entries went on like that up until yesterday.

I decided to look back at it some more later. I went outside and sat on the stoop. Some people passed by. Worried mothers told me they were glad I was alright, some girls from school waved.

The weird part was I had memories from this new life in 1978.

A young boy walks down the street towards me. "Hey Eve!" He calls.

It's Dave.

2017 me is going crazy. 1978 me is casual.

"Hey Dave!" I call back. He walks over to my house and stands in front of me.

"There's a whole bunch of us heading over to the pub later, one last hurrah before the Sixth Form kids leave. Do you want to come?" He asks.

"I don't know, I've pretty much killed all the chances I have to stay out after falling asleep in the park," I joke.

He laughs. "What was that all about, anyway? I heard my mum talking about it."

"I was reading in the park and I fell asleep. The whole thing's quite stupid," I reply. "I'll think about the pub, though."

"Alright. I'll walk by later so we can walk together." He says.

We say goodbye and he heads back to his house.

Wow. I just spoke to one of my favorite singers. And we're apparently friends?