... and his response

A/N: I had this chapter sitting around for a while, but I realized I had to place my General Iroh story a little further ahead to get this story rolling. Don't wanna spoil stuff. But yes, enjoy the new update! Sorry for the delay but I am aiming to update this story when possible. <3

[x]

Two days pass and Mako finds himself being dressed for dinner. Tonight he will meet your parents, who have returned from the Northern Water Tribe. He's seen Fire Lord Izumi before but never been properly introduced; after the Avatar group disbanded, he has rarely bumped into any sort of powerful people.

Dressed to impress, Mako begins his travels to the dining hall. He's already figured out the layout of the palace and spent a lot of time debating on what he should do. After Kuvira's attempted coup, he resigned himself to be this normal man, a lost face in the crowd. But being bestowed this chance to help his mother's home nation, he wonders if this is another challenge the universe has thrown at him. He's experienced enough battles in a lifetime despite having been born without a grand lineage to his name.

At the dining hall, Mako spots a man that has your nose and eyes. However, that is where the similarity halts. The man appears far too genuine and kind, and when his eyes meet Mako's, a soft smile appears. 

"Hello," the man stands, "I'm General Azusa, [Name]'s father."

"Nice to meet you, sir. I'm Mako," he says as he gives a slight bow. The man offers the chair in front of him and Mako takes it quickly.

"I've heard a bit about you from Lord Zuko," Azusa chuckles, "so I understand what kind of predicament you find yourself in."

"You mean engagement."

"Well, yes." He waves over an attendant and requests them to begin serving the food. "Engagement is what we should call it, but I believe it is certainly a predicament for you."

Mako nods his head, wary to agree to your father's candid yet accurate description of the situation. "Yes, I was taken away from everyone I've known and came to a foreign land."

"Aren't you a Fire Nation citizen?" He raises his eyebrows as he sips on his tea.

"I'm from Republic City, born and raised there. My mother was a Fire Nation citizen though," Mako explains. 

"Does [Name] know this?"

Mako huffs, "She hasn't really asked me any personal questions."

Before General Azusa can continue his conversation, Fire Lord Izumi appears with her daughter in tow. Your usual garment is now replaced by more crimson-colored robes with gold trimmings. An array of ruby accessories ornate your neck and ears as well as the gold Fire Nation crown stationed on the top of your head. 

He can definitely admit to you being aesthetically pleasing to the eye. However, your bloodlust trumps such beauty in his opinion. 

Both he and General Azusa stand until the ladies are properly seated. You are the first to speak, appearing satisfied by the attire Mako wears. "You dress up well."

"Thanks, you as well," he speaks up.

"Weren't you the boy tied to Avatar Korra?" Izumi raises her eyebrow with interest as she seats herself at the head of the table. The recognition alone brings the hairs on Mako's arms to rise.  

You don't understand the question and give Mako no room to respond. "Tied? With rope?... Are you into some freaky stuff?"

Mako flushes at the direct question in front of the royals. "N-No! Why would you say that?"