Chapter 8: The Dance

Dustin left a few minutes later to let me get ready.

                I flattened my hair and walked over to my bed. I took of my tank top and sweats and slid on my purple dress. I looked back in my closet and found a pair of silver heels. I walked over to my dresser and started applying my powder when my mom walked in.

                She sat on my bed and looked at me weird. “It smells like cologne in here.”

                Shoot! “Oh Greg was just in here, he sprayed his cologne everywhere.” I turned back to my makeup.

                Mom shrugged and stood behind me. She started messing with my hair.

                “Mom stop, you’ll ruin it.” I pulled away.

                Mom rolled her eyes and walked out. I applied my eye liner when I heard the doorbell ring. I could hear my dad downstairs. I quickly applied my mascara and ran to my long mirror to make sure everything was okay.

                “Taylor! There’s a handsome young man down here for you!” Mom called up.

                I sighed and walked out my door. As I walked downstairs, I saw Dustin standing by the door. He looked up at me and his whole face lit up.

                He was wearing a white long-sleeved button down shirt with a black tie. He has his black skinny jeans on and I could sort of see his neon green pyramid spike belt. His green eyes really stood out beautifully.

                “Okay you two have fun.” Mom said as she and dad walked to the living room. I walked up to his and grabbed his hand.

                “You look beautiful Taylor.” He gaped.

                I blushed and looked down. “You look really cute.” I responded. He grinned and kissed my cheek. He motioned his head to the door and we walked outside.

                We walked down the sidewalk to my driveway when I saw a limo parked in front of my house.

                “Dustin did you get this?!” I asked shocked. He nodded and pulled me toward the limo. He opened the door for me and I got inside. The ceiling of the limo had purple and green lights that I guess were supposed to symbolize stars?

                Dustin in beside me and closed the door. The limo started driving and Dustin wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. He turned my head to face him and he gazed into my eyes.

                “You actually did this?” I asked still amazed.

                “Yeah; my dad got it you know because you’re his best friend’s daughter and all.”

                “Oh,” He leaned in and kissed me as we pulled in front of the school.

                The driver got out and opened our door for us. Dustin got out first and held my hand as I got out. Some kids were standing outside of the school and were staring at us.

                Dustin and I walked up to the front of the school and walked in. The school’s campus safety guy was standing by the door. He motioned towards the gym room.

                “Dance is in there.” He mumbled.

                “Uh okay, thanks.” Dustin said and we walked down the hallway to the gym room. We were almost at the door when we heard someone calling Dustin.

                We turned around and saw Val walking towards us. She was wearing a skin tight hot pink strapless dress that came way above her knees. Her long fake blonde hair was curled and had a small bow on the side. Part of me felt a little jealous of her looks.

                “Hey Dustin, you look really hot tonight.” She said as if she didn’t see me standing right beside him.

                “Whatever. Come on Taylor, let’s go inside.” He wrapped his arm my waist and we started heading towards the door when Val got in front of us.

                “Oh Taylor I didn’t see you standing there!” She gave me a fake smiled.

                I mumbled a ‘yeah’ and Dustin and I walked into the gym room. The windows were covered with black paper to make it dark. There were green, red, and blue lights in the corners of the room which shot of light which looked like lasers.

                The cafeteria tables were beside the walls with some kids sitting on them. Groups of people were dancing and some were hanging by the food tables.

                The song Shortie Like Mine came on and Dustin pulled me to the center of the dance floor. He wrapped his arms around my waist and gazed into my eyes. I put my arms around his neck. I wanted this moment to last forever. It got even better when he kissed me.

                Only one thing ruined it, and guess what it was. Oh you know… it was Val walking up to me and slapping me right across the face.