Spear-Finger

*Mikaela*

"Where are we?" Mikaela asked the girl. "Far from the entrance." Mikaela paused, "Um, can I ask why?" she stated. "Where do you think the cyclops is?" the girl asked her. She realized the girl was right.

"Do you think anybody made it out?" she asked. "Most definitely, or else the cyclops wouldn’t be worried about the entrance at all." the girl answered. Mikaela wondered if her friends had gotten out, "Do you think everyone got out?" she asked. "No, I mean, we didn’t make it out." "But we weren’t trying to." Mikaela pointed out. "Ok, maybe everyone else did make it out, are you happy now?" the girl said sarcastically.

"Sure," she replied, "By the way what’s your name?" Mikaela asked the girl. "Mckenzie, or you can call me Mac." the girl answered. "Ok, and I’m Mikaela, or Mik. Most people just call me Mikaela though." Mckenzie laughed.

"Ok Mikaela, so why were you so worried about wether or not everyone got out?" Mckenzie asked her. "Well, I was wondering if maybe my friends had gotten out." she explained. "Basically, there's a 50% chance that they got out, depending on if they were even all together." Mckenzie stated. "Well, maybe some of them got out and some are still trapped in here." Mckenzie told her.

"Well, what about your friends, aren’t you worried about them?" Mikaela asked. "They’ll be fine, we’ve all lived here are entire lives. Heck, they probably all made it out and are wondering where I am." she said. "Well, what now?" Mikaela asked. "We can go back to my house." "Should we at least look to see if we can find anybody who didn’t make it out?" Mikaela pondered. "Well my house is a pretty far walk from here, so just keep a lookout." Mckenzie told her.

************

While they were walking, Mikaela noticed the gate to the dark half was open. "Wait," she pointed towards the gate, "Should we close that?" she asked. "It's not worth it. Any creatures that didn’t make it out won’t be too much trouble." Mckenzie said. "Then should we pull the alarm again to let people know that they’re still not safe?" just as Mikaela said it, a dragon flew over their heads. "I’m not sure we need to now." Mckenzie answered, nodding to the dragon, "I'm sure that that's enough warning in itself."

 They heard the alarm go off again anyway. "So, there is someone else in the cave." Mckenzie said. "Is there more than one alarm?" Mikaela asked. "Yes, there’s actually ten throughout the cave." Mckenzie answered.

They heard a roar, like the sound of a squealing pig, multiplied by a thousand. They looked behind them, "Run!" Mckenzie immediately screamed. Mikaela looked back, to discover that there was some giant, ugly looking creature behind them with rocks spinning in an orbit around it.

"What is that?" Mikaela screamed. "It’s Spear-finger! Don’t let her fool you she’s known for tricking kids and families into coming to her. Then she kills them while they sleep and you don’t want to know what she does after that." Mckenzie said. "What’s a spear-finger?" Mikaela asked between breaths. "Not a spear-finger, the Spear-finger! She is an ogress." They were still running. "How is she here? I thought she was in the Appalachian Mountains!" Mikaela remembered. "That was a rumor, we’ve had her in the dark half for over fifty years now," Mckenzie said, "Now no more questions until after we’re somewhat safer. I’m too out of breath to answer." Mckenzie managed to finish. So, they ran in silence.

=====================================================

*Hannah*

They had decided to split up. Since there was an uneven number, she had volunteered to search by herself. She figured it might help them find Mikaela faster if she hadn’t already left the cave. Besides that, no one had objected. The others went in groups of two. Olivia was with Lauren and Amadeus had went with Ray.

They’d agreed to meet back at where they had started if anything went wrong. So far the only thing that hadn’t gone as planned was the alarm being pulled again. Hannah wondered if the others had already retreated because of the alarm. Even if they had, she wasn’t going to. Hannah was determined to find Mikaela.

It was weird, she felt like her normal self at the moment. It had only happened a couple times since Olivia put the necklace on her. They were the only times she could think clearly. Hannah looked up and saw something huge in the distance. She felt her mind slipping away, "Great," she mumbled, "perfect timing." and then her mind went blank.

*********

When she came back to her senses, she saw the creature again, farther away this time. Only this time she could recognize it, "Spear-finger." she mumbled. It turned and looked straight at her. Her name being mentioned must've grabbed her attention.

 Spear-finger bounded in her direction, but Hannah didn’t move. She felt no fear or worry. About midway the creature changed form. It now looked like her little sister. She had just seen what it was and now it decided to change form. "Hannah! Hannah help! Come here, quickly!" the creature pleaded. "No!" Hannah yelled back.

She let the creature come closer. "I won’t run," she thought to herself, "It will throw the thing off guard. The creature had shifted form again, back to what it had originally looked like. "Why aren’t you running like the others?" the creature spoke to her. It had a deep, scratchy voice that sounded like knives on rock.

"I don’t fear you, Spear-finger." Hannah responded calmly. Spear-finger looked at Hannah and spotted the necklace, "I understand now. How did you manage to get hold of the Forbidden Necklace?" she asked. Hannah thought about it, but she couldn’t remember, "I’m not sure."

"Where was it found?" the ogress asked her. Hannah wished that Spear-finger had confronted her a couple of minutes ago when she could answer her questions. "I can’t answer questions of my past at the moment." Hannah explained.

She recalled how the ogress had said others had run from her, "Who were you chasing before you came to me?" Hannah ventured. "These two girls, but they didn’t seem as if I could manipulate them." Spear-finger answered. "Can you describe them to me?" Hannah asked. She wondered if it was Lauren and Olivia.

"One looked like she was from here," when the ogress said that Hannah lost a little bit of hope, "But the other harnessed some weird talent. She wasn’t from here, but she could see me." the ogress explained. Hannah thought for a moment and realized she had talked to Mikaela about being able to see the creatures, "Did you harm them?" Hannah asked Spear-finger.

"No, I heard my name and figured I should go after that person to see if they were worthy enough to say it. I suppose you were." the ogress answered. "Well, thank you for your time, but I really must get going." Hannah said as she ran in the direction Spear-finger had come from.