Chapter 3: Encounters

I did it. No wait, I done it. I defeated her, I defeated the Enchantress!

It actually worked, this strategy actually worked! I guess it's because I decided to take a different approach, to think outside the box, to look from a different angle, you know what I mean?

First, I activated the taunt skill of my computer controlled warriors. The function of the taunt skill is that it attracts the enemy's attention to the user of that skill, meaning that the enemy focuses most of their attacks on the warriors instead of my main character. The warriors have high 'HP' (health points) and high defense, so they can easily absorb the damage while my avatar and a few computer controlled archers attacked the Enchantress with physical attacks, and some computer controlled templars used their anti-magic skills to limit the extent of the Enchantress' damage on my avatar and party members.

You may be wondering why I haven't used any mages, yet. This is because physical damage is actually the enchantress's weak point, not magical attacks, which is what I had assumed before. Although she had some pretty good defense spells, they didn't last forever, so I launched the physical attacks during the time she was casting the defense spells, when the defense spells faded, or when her mana was low. Mana is also known as 'MP', which stands for Magical Point. When magic wielding characters cast spells, they need the required amount of mana to cast it, if they don't have enough they can't cast the spell. Mana can be replenished by taking a mana potion or by letting it regenerate over time.

When the Enchantress' HP was below twenty five percent, I used my avatar's 'Pummel' skill, which made my avatar lash out with her shield, like a battering ram. This skill caused the enchantress to tumble to the ground and left her stunned. This was the opening which I had been waiting for! Now the enchantress was off guard, left defenseless, with no magical or physical shields or spells.

This was the moment were the mages came in to action. I ordered them to cast , currently, the most powerful spell in the game 'lightning spear', to finish off 'The Enchantress' as soon as possible before she came back to her senses. That is the story of how I defeated her, after a century.

Whilst I was crazily smiling and mentally celebrating, my in-box icon started flashing. I quickly clicked on it, the curiosity growing inside me.

'Congratulations on defeating the Enchantress courageous adventurer. Upon defeating the Tyrant's disciple, you are left with the Enchantress' Obsidian Key and a mysterious book, its name unknown. Your next quest is to discover what this book is and the content it holds. Will you be able to unlock the hidden secrets?'

After a few seconds I found 'The Mysterious Book' as I skimmed through my inventory. After I clicked on it, the loading screen popped up, meaning that a cut scene was about to appear.

'Who has awoken me from my slumber?' The leather bound book groaned. It, or he had a warm bronze colour and had an intricate golden border. It seemed so uncanny that such a beautiful object had once belonged to a ruthless monster.

In this game, when Non-Playable characters, also known as NPCs start a dialogue, the player has a list of responses they can choose from. Each response can lead to different things being learned, and sometimes major choices can change the type of relationship the player has with the character they are talking to, such as becoming an ally or a nemesis.

'Option 1- To you I am a stranger, who has defeated your master, the wretched Enchantress.'

'Option 2- (Lie) I am your master, the Enchantress.'

'Option 3- (Stay silent and do not answer)'

Definitely not option 2, game or not, I'm not lying. OK, so it's either option 1 or 3

Option 1 seemed straight forward, and it's unlikely that it will frustrate the talking book, since I am answering it's question. Well, option 1 it is.

'Do my ears deceive me? Oh adventurer, present to me proof of this claim.'

Proof? Wait, what about that item I received when I defeated her? The obsidian key I think it was. I wonder if it has some sort of special function, besides from being a key, like how Misty Fey from the Phoenix Wright video game had a staff in which she hid a sword. Whatever, I can think about that later.

I presented the key, waiting in anticipation...

'So you have spoken the truth, noble knight. I must thank you for ridding me of such a cruel master, who corrupted my pages with spells of the dark arts, and secrets only the minds of few know.'

'Option 1- Did you have another master before her?'

'Option 2- Who are the few who know the secrets?'

'Option 3- I would like to look inside and discover the words which the Enchantress once had guarded.'

I chose option 1, it's good to ask about other topics, so you can learn more about the game.

'I had one master long ago, an alchemist respected by the people and myself. He was a generous man who named me 'The Jewel of Alchemy' . He worked day and night developing new cures and medicines. Unfortunately, he died long ago, and I was preserved and protected in the Wise Owl's Library, until it was ambushed by the Enchantress. That was when I was stolen, when the Enchantress destroyed all the content of my former master's research; all the cures he had discovered vanished into thin air. Every decision the Enchantress made concerning me was against my will. The cruel witch even decided to change my identity, to make me her 'pet' and renamed me as the Dark Grimoire, as if she was my true owner.'

I feel so sorry for this guy, I mean girl, wait no book! Hang on a second, did I just say I felt sorry for a book? It's not even real, it's a virtual book! I guess-

'May I ask, what will you call me by? My original name or my current name?' The book asked, full of curiosity. At that moment, three options appeared:

'a) Your original name- The Jewel of Alchemy'

'b)Your current name- The Dark Grimoire'

'c) It is your name, it is your choice. I will call you whatever you want me to.'

I decided to choose option C.

'Thank you my friend, you can call me by my real name, which only my first master knew: Igniculus.' Igniculus replied.

Igniculus sounds like a very interesting name, it seems quite familiar...

'Do you have anything else you would like to inquire?' The book interjected 

I clicked on option 2, my curiosity spurring me on.

"The secrets inscribed into my pages are currently known by the Tyrant, and the remaining of his sentinels: the Giant of the North and the Horned Wyvern. Obviously, the Enchantress was also of those who knew, but, we already know what has become of her fate." Igniculus answered

Option 3 remained on the screen. I clicked on it, pondering on what I would discover.

"If I could, I would let you see. Unfortunately, the Enchantress has placed upon me a spell-lock, a spell only she could unlock. The spell lock has kept me sealed, so I fear that you cannot read the content I hold. In order to do so, you must break this spell lock by -' 

"Nuzhat! Come downstairs, Suleiman's here!" My Mother suddenly exclaimed. I could hear the melodious sounds of greetings and laughter coming from downstairs.

Not a second later did I wait. Full of joy, I rushed downstairs, for my brother was finally here.

Author's note:  

Hey everyone! First of all: I am so, so, so ,so sorry for not posting after a century has passed us! I have been extremely busy lately, and still will be, so I may be very slow with the updates. 

I just wanted to thank tangledinthetruth for nominating me as one of the winners of her contest, you don't know how much it means to me  ^-^.

As usual, please comment your opinions of this chapter, and... any Ace Attorney fans out there?  Also, does anyone know what game has a character called Igniculus? First person who answers correctly gets a dedication in the next chapter :)