Cadet to Commander

Disclaimer: Chapter 1

~:~:~:~:~

"Fine Job Mr. Sulu, well done!" I heard Scotty compliment as I walked into the transporter room with Spock and Jim.

"Where are we, Scotty?" Jim asked as we passed him.

"Unbelievably sir, the ship is in position," he admitted.

"Whatever happens Mr. Sulu, if you feel you have a tactical advantage, fire on that ship. Even if we're still aboard. It's an order," Jim said as Spock made his way onto the pad, me following right behind him.

"Yes, sir," I heard vaguely from behind me as I looked up at Spock.

"Please be careful," I begged him quietly. My heart was racing with anxiety. "I can't lose you too."

Spock leaned in, placing his hand on the back of my neck, before he gently kissed my forehead.

I will be, Maeve, he told me through my mind before slowly pulling away.

You mean so much to me, I admitted as he leaned his forehead against mine.

Oh, how I wanted to kiss him. How I needed to kiss him.

But there was no time. I kissed his cheek softly before I turned and jogged back to where Scotty was sitting at the transporter.

"If there's any common sense to their ship design, I'll be puttin' ya in the cargo bay, shouldn't be a soul in sight."

"Energize," Jim said. And they were gone.

I ran all the way back to the bridge, hoping to keep track of the men as best as I could. Anxiety filled me past the brim as I hoped once again for Spock's safety.

~:~:~:~:~

It felt like years before Spock and Jim were once again aboard the ship. They ran onto the bridge and went straight to the front of the room. I grinned in relief as my heartbeat slowed and I went back to working.

"Captain! The enemy ship is losing power-its shields are down!"

"Hail them now!" Nero's face made its way onto the screen and Jim spoke. "This is Captain James T. Kirk of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Your ship is compromised. You're too close to the singularity to survive without assistance which we are willing to provide."

There was silence for a moment before Spock turned to speak quietly with the captain.

"Captain, what are you doing?"

"We show them compassion - it may be the only way to earn peace with Romulus. It's logic, Spock! I thought you'd like that."

Spock shook his head, "no, not really. Not this time."

"I would rather suffer the end of Romulus a thousand times. I would rather die in agony than accept assistance from you."

"You got it," Jim agreed, heading back to his chair as Nero's face was taken down from the screen. "Arm phasers, fire everything we've got."

"Yes, sir," Sulu agreed. Spock made his way to his spot next to me and I gave him a small smile before getting back to work.

"Sulu, let's go home!"

"Yes, sir!"

I froze when I realized we weren't going anywhere.

"Why aren't we at warp?"

"We are, sir!"

"Kirk to Engineering, get us out of here, Scotty!"

"You bet your arse, Captain!" It was a moment before we heard him once again. "Captain, we're caught in the gravity well, it's got us!"