Distress

Disclaimer: Chapter 1 bro

~:~:~:~:~

Hey y'all! Here's the next chapter for ya!

I hope y'all enjoy it, and thank you for reading! :)

~:~:~:~:~

One Week Later

~:~:~:~:~

Dearest Maeve,

Your mother took off for Vulcan this morning. I knew you'd want to know, so she'll be at Vulcan a little less than an hour from when I sent this message. I hope you have a good day, and message back when you can!

Love,

Dad

I read my dad's short message on my Padd and smiled. I'd have to message him back tonight when I had time. For now, though, I had to get ready for class.

The morning went by in a blur and finally, I got to take a break and have some dinner before I had to head to Kobayashi Maru Test Encoding with Spock. I was headed out from Advanced Chemistry Lab when suddenly I heard some familiar voices from ahead of me.

"Why are you so happy?" I heard Bones ask. I glanced over only to see him talking to Jim.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"No, I don't suppose you do," Leo answered, rolling his eyes. Jim ignored him.

"Hello ladies," Jim said, winking at some girls as he and Leo made their way down the steps. "I'm taking the test again."

"You've got to be kidding."

"You're the one we have to set the test up for?" I asked incredulously from behind them. "You've got to be kidding."

"Yeah, tomorrow morning and I want you there," he told Leo before he turned to me. His brow furrowed together and he looked completely and utterly confused. "What the hell is up with your ears?"

"I'm part Vulcan, Jim."

"But--wait, why didn't I know this?" he asked incredulously before he turned to Leo. "Did you know this?"

"Since when were you Vulcan?" Leo asked.

"Since I was born," I told him, rolling my eyes.

"But why didn't you tell us?"

"I was afraid of ridicule," I said simply.

"Maeve, we'd never hurt you like that," Leo said. "Don't you realize that? We're your friends."

"You're Vulcan?" Jim asked again, still hung up on the fact.

"Yes! Jim, I'm Vulcan. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be ridiculed, but I recently decided to embrace my Vulcan part and live like that. The only reason I decided to stop being the me you guys know is because, frankly, I didn't want to be that me, now can we please move on? I'm okay now, I'm happy the way I am, and I was hoping you guys would be too. I've learned to trust you, which is why I'm standing here with you, ears blazing." Leo and Jim glanced at each other.

"You aren't given the names of the students you're testing?" Jim asked, changing the subject immediately. I almost sighed in relief.

I shook my head, "I only know the day of, and that's only if I decide to go and watch them take the exam, which... I typically can't because of my scheduling. So basically, I won't be there whether you want me there or not."