Closer

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

~:~:~:~:~

"God, Nina, I don't even know what to say! This weekend's been such a blur, Spock's mother is absolutely wonderful!" I exclaimed as I made tea for the two of us.

"At least tell me the basics," she begged with a giggle.

"Well, Spock and his mother get on really well. I was surprised to see he's actually a bit of a mama's boy, really. He loves keeping her happy."

"That could be a good thing because it shows he has respect for women, but it could also be a bad thing because maybe he looks to her to baby him," she warned.

"Nina, Spock's a Commander of Starfleet who lives light-years away from his mother," I reasoned with a smirk.

"Right, sorry, that was stupid," she said, shaking her head as she began drawing her henna design on herself. "Continue."

"His mother is funny and so kind and considerate. She was very supportive of me and my decision to open up. And she told me a little secret about Spock," I told her with a smirk. She immediately stopped drawing on herself and looked up at me.

"What is it?"

"He dances."

"What?"

"I'm not kidding! She used to have him take lessons for all sorts of partner dancing, waltzes, sambas, tangos, practically everything. Apparently she realized women appreciate dancers," I told her teasingly, unable to stop the small giggle that emanated from my lips.

"Yeah, especially women who dance. You're freaking made for each other," she muttered so I wouldn't hear her while I sifted through the fridge for the cream.

"Hmm?" I asked, pulling my head out of the fridge.

"Nothing, keep going," she said a little too quickly, getting back to her henna. I just brushed it off.

"Anyways, Saturday we met at the fountain, then we made our way to the coffee shop, then his mother wanted to window shop, and we had a light lunch and we went to see a ballet before dinner, and then we parted ways. Pretty uneventful, really, we just had a lot of fun and Amanda asked a never-ending stream of questions... Amanda purposefully left Spock and I alone, though, and it was very... pleasant. And surprisingly relaxed. Especially for such a public setting."

"What did she do?" Nina asked.

"Oh! Darn, Spock, would you mind ordering me a water? I think I left my bag in that store," she explained. How had neither Spock or I realized that sooner?

"Would you prefer me to retrieve it for you?" Spock asked.

"No, no," she said quickly. "You two stay here! I'll only be a moment. I like the exercise anyway."

Spock nodded to her and she sent us one last smile before heading out.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" Spock asked me as we sat down at the table. He sat directly across from me.

"Very much so," I told him. "Your mother's lovely... She's a woman I would love to be like somewhere in the future."

"My mother appears to have become very fond of you in a very short amount of time," he told me.

"I find I have also become very fond of her," I admitted with a smile. "Your mother's very beautiful."

"I agree," he said.

"It's so effortless," I continued with a small smile as I looked out the window. "She doesn't have to try at all. I find I envy her."

"I don't see why. Your looks are alluring. There are nearly no flaws on your person, which is of a charmingly elegant nature, and therefore you are also very beautiful, even when you do not try."