Being Me

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

~:~:~:~:~

I'm so sorry for the delay guys, I have a whole excuse and everything but y'all probably just would like the story, so I'll just go ahead and give it to you ;)

I hope you all love this chapter!

~:~:~:~:

Friday flew by in a tangled mess, I had back-to-back classes all day until 1600 hours when I had a two hour break before my personal study with Spock in his office. I headed straight to my room I shared with a beautiful, quiet, scholarly young human Indian girl named Nina. She, aside from Spock, was the only person who knew of my true heritage.

"Gosh, Maeve, all these classes are going to wear you down!" she exclaimed and I sighed. "Goodness, you never rest, do you? I've never seen anyone work as hard as you. How do you even get all your work done?"

"I spend all my free time working on that which I need to complete. It helps that I have the aid of my professors as well as some previous knowledge on some subjects, and I need less sleep than humans because of my mixed heritage," I told her, falling onto the bed. "However, I suppose a small nap wouldn't be disagreeable."

She giggled from her spot at the desk, "What time would you like me to wake you?"

"You don't mind?" I asked her.

"Of course not, what time?"

"1700 hours please. I'd like to take a shower and grab a bite to eat before I have to go to personal study at 1800 hours."

"Okay, you nap and I'll wake you at 1700 hours exactly," she told me as I drifted into a dreamless sleep.

~:~:~:~:~

"Maeve, wake up, I'm almost done making us your favorite dinner," she told me, excited. I smiled at my friend.

"You'll make a wonderful mother one day, my friend," I told her with a smile as I slowly woke up. She giggled once again, setting her amazing chai tea on the bedside table in the hopes of the caffeine helping me wake up a bit. "Oh, you are lovely."

"Come on, hurry up," she teased, heading back to the small kitchenette. I chuckled, running my hand through my hair, pulling it to one side of my head as I sipped at the wonderful tea my friend had made me. "And you know I'll never forget you're not about meat, so I only made mine with chicken. Yours has peas and mushrooms, and I'm finishing the fruit salsa too."

I groaned in happiness. I loved Nina. She and I had known each other for the past four and a half years. She was also working toward her PhD in both Xenobiology and Xenoanthropology, but she was taking the whole six years to do it. Her and I have done things like this for each other since we first met. We just clicked, really. We became instant friends, both respecting and understanding each other. I threw my hair up into a bun before I grabbed my tea and walked into the kitchen, sitting at the small bar.

"Thank you very much," I told her with a smile.

"You know," she said thoughtfully, setting the pasta in front of me, before heading off to finish up with the fruit. "You act most human-or, well, Betazoid even-when you wake up. I think I like you best that way."

I felt a small pang in my heart before it disappeared. She didn't mean she disliked my slightly Vulcan nature with most things, just that she liked my human-like nature even more.

"Do you?"

"Yeah. I love you the way you are, of course, but I can tell it hurts for you to be so stoic all the time. You're a happy girl under all that. It's just sad that I'm the only person who gets to see it."