One step at a time

Once the hospital let me out, I was confined to my bed for 2 weeks but that wasn’t even the worst part. The worst part of it was Jess had to go to school, leaving me by myself for the better part of the day. As soon as she came home, however, we would cuddle up and watch movies and it just made the whole ordeal a little more bearable.

One night we were lying, tangled together with a silence lingering over us, although the silence was not at all uncomfortable.

Jess was the one to break the silence, “Zoe?”

“Yeah, love?'

“If those guys had hurt you any worse than they had, I-I would of hunted them down. I would have found them and I swear I would have killed them.”I sat up on the bed and she moved to face me.

“Jess,” I said softly, “look I'm fine, okay? Everything’s fine and I'm still here and we’re still together.”

“But it was a mistake... Those guys, they weren't after you; they were after me.”

I started at her in confusion, “what do you mean Jess?”

“I mean. I know who did this and these people they’re after me not you. My father he’s looking for me. He’s trying to find me and that's why John took me in. He knows my father but they aren’t on good terms with one another. My father knows I'm with you and he’s doing anything and everything in his power,” she flinched, “to get me back.”

“Then why don't you just go back to him? I don't understand,” Zoe said with a puzzled expression.

“It’s not that simple Zoe. He used to beat me. He-I was put in hospital three times and still no one done anything. They stood by and watched it and just let it happen. My own mother was too drugged up to care and she just stood by him laughing until that day came where he...” a lonely tear ran down her face and I wiped it away she looked up at me.

“Jess, no one and I mean no one is going to hurt you not while I'm around. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. What did he do to you?” Zoe asked her with careful edge to her tone.

“H-he raped me in front of them. And-And they all stood watching and laughing so I...I left I ran to the police and told them everything, but by the time they got to the house...they were gone. They asked me if I knew anyone they could take me to and I knew your dad because he stopped me from getting beat up by him in the shopping mall. He’d given me his number and address so I told them to take me there.”

That night she told me everything and I held her as she cried. I felt so sorry for her and I knew I had to keep her safe from him. He could hurt me all he wanted, he could kill me but I promised myself then and there that I wouldn’t ever let him get her. She fell asleep in my arms and I followed her shortly after her who knew comforting someone could be so tiring. I woke up by the sun shining through a crack in the curtains which I forgot to close right over before I went to bed. As I looked over I saw Jess laying there in my arms and I took a look at the clock which read 11:47 my dad must of let her stay off as it was only Thursday, but hey I get a day with Jess which made me happy.

I decided I wasn't going to stay in bed any longer as of Monday I was going back to school. Jess decided a car ride would be a good idea so we got dressed and got into Jess's car. The ride was silent but comfortable.

As we approached a wooded area I got suspicious, “Jess, where are we?”

“Well since today was a warm day and your fist time out again I decided a picnic at the lake would be a swell idea.” I looked at her and the smile on her face was amazing.

As the sun set I lay next to Jess on a blanket cuddling her watching the sun go down.

“Jess...?”

“Yeah?”

“I... I love you.”

Jess sat up and looked me in the eyes and smiled, “I love you too.” She leaned forward and placed gentle kisses on my lips trailing them to my neck where I tried to stifle a moan but failed, I knew Jess noticed because she sucked on my weak spot which drove me crazy.

“J-Jess n-not out here...” With that being said, she lifted me up bridal style back to the car. She drove like crazy back to the house and picked me up again. I giggled like a five year old till we reached the house I opened the door and met my dad with an apologetic look on his face.

“Dad what’s wrong?”

“Zoe, go upstairs please.”

“What? No, what’s wrong? What’s going on?” Two built guys came out of the living room; they looked pale and their eyes were like dark holes in their faces. I looked at Jess to find her face dropped and I could hear her heart rate pick up, I looked back at the guys and to Jess. “Jess....”

“Zoe, please go upstairs,” my father kept repeating.

“No! What is going on? Will someone please tell me what the fuck is going on?!”

“Zoe, get up the stairs now!” My father grabbed my arm and started dragging me upstairs while Jess was screaming my name I got lose and ran to Jess.

Another man came out from the living room and from the look of him I knew who he was because Jess tensed up I knew I had to get Jess away from him. I stood in front of Jess but the look in his eyes I knew I couldn't protect her, I mean he wasn't normal...he didn't look human, his eyes were red, and his hair was jet black with pale white skin he was tall and built but, not like the other two men.

“Jess, it’s time to come home!” His voice made me shiver and he knew because a smirk appeared on his face. I stood in front of Jess.

“No, she’s not going anywhere with you!!” I screamed at him and kept my eyes locked on his.

“John, please restrain your child or I shall have to do it myself and you don’t want that.”

“Zoe, come here now!”

“No! You’re just going to stand there and watch him hurt Jess. You know what he’s done! You know what he'll do!”

“Fine so be it.” After hearing those words the two men came, picked me and Jess, carried us to a black van and tied us up. I was right next to Jess while she was crying. I heard the van doors close and start up, we started moving and after a while I was so tired that I fell asleep. Jess had already fallen asleep because she was exhausted from the day’s events.

**************

Ok so cliff hanger I know sorry but I realised this chapter was getting a tad long, hope you enjoy it if you have any requests please feel free to comment and vote :). Also the song for this chapter is over the side I just love maroon 5 and the people singing. Have fun Love K xox