Chapter 1

Hi guys, thank you for reading my book, The Wall. I hope you enjoy! This is unedited- when I finish the book I promise to edit ☺️ oh and moons= months if you get confused. Please stick by the book for a few chapters, it gets interesting soon :)

I watched the final flower drift down from its high peak in the tree, until it swerved and dipped in the wind and landed into the shimmering lake beside me, making ripples glide though out its glassy, smooth surface.

I sigh as the wind pushes past my face, as my hair flys over me, blocking my view with a bright chestnut and settles on the ground, pulling my face into a frown when the sun disappears from my body and leaving a cold, shivering snap of cold- grasping souls like a snake coiling its prey. I shiver as I turn my neck and see the wall.

Immediately dreams and wishes swirl my mind as like every other day, I wish I could go beyond the wall. Have an adventure instead of talking politics with a snob of a family. Instantly thinking of them makes me scowl. They treat people like a sack of dirt and want nothing more to do with them. They hate me going into this part of the village because thats where all the 'ferrels' and 'commoners' are.

My family are the Blackmarches. One of the richest and highest families in the kingdom, second in command to Lord Tryanth. Everyone here always thinks in the same way, nothing creative or adventurous. Everything here is boring and everyone who's 'higher up in the world' looks down at me like I'm worse than the 'ferrels' because of my ideas and personality. Always sending me away with scowls and bitter comments about how different I am, and in this neighbourhood, everyone needs to be just like each other to fit in. This is the way we have been taught.

"Ma'am, you are to be summoned back to your room until further notice" I hear a voice behind me and I jump, startled at the noise. I turn to see one of the servants from my house, Meris I think her name is. "I will be there shortly" I answer and I see her hesitating. She doesn't think I will go back. "Alright ma'am, come soon" she responds before lowering her head from my gaze uncomfortably and running away. Mum always puts me in my room, so I'm not an embarrassment or something like that to her. She doesn't want me to be seen by others much.

I pickup a flower next to me, twirling it in my fingers then deciding to put it into my hair. Pulling back strands of my long and light chestnut hair, I insert the flower behind my ear before checking it wont come out. Satisfied I take slow steps back into the village.

The village itself is quite large, but not as large as our capital Hulandill. All the birch and oak wood houses look the same, mostly one story and you see them in which ever part of the town you go to. In the center, a water feature stands out making everyone turn heads every time they see it, while on the other side, a large market takes place where you can hear calls from merchants from a mile away. On the far side of the village is where the homeless live and is a very sad and remorseful place to be. Everyone avoids it at all costs.

Walking along the wood walkway, I smell something delicious coming from the stalls. Seeming that I don't have anything important to do, I head there straight away. The town is filled with walkways, large towering archways and lamps to guide you, but it always makes me feel overpowered.

As I make a quick right behind a building, I find myself in the market place. I feel a shoulder bump into me and immediately turn around to see who it is when I see a familiar face. "Oh sorry Lissa, didnt see you there" a boy with short brown hair and green eyes says hurriedly. "Hi jasper, where are you going off to?" I ask with a friendly smile. But before he can answer, someone pushes him over. "How dare you bump into a noble mans daughter!" I see the most powerful man in the land, Lord Tryanth's son Eric.

"Eric! It was an accident!" I say kindly and put a hand on his shoulder as he goes to kick Jasper on the ground. He stops and turns to me. "How can you stick up for that thing?" Eric says with barely any sound. "I find light in the most darkest of places" I respond with a whisper and both boys give me strange looks, which I'm far used to by now. "Let it go" I say with a reassuring smile, leading the boys away from each other.

"I don't get you sometimes. You know what your sister said about you?" Eric asks and I shake my head, "probably that I'm different because I don't want to think like everyone else. I want to be able to go outside the wall and have an adventure, and not be stuck in a place where people are unfairly ruled, and treated like that" I say waving back to the homeless. He just looks at me. "Listen. Its dangerous thinking differently. Do you know what would happen to you if you caused too much of something no one wants? You have to stop thinking about the wall!" He says and I stare blankly. "How is it dangerous? I just want a bit of fun!" I exclaim. "I don't want to be the pretty girl who has to get married. I want a life where I can do what I want!" I add angrily.

"You don't get it! I'm giving you a warning, what my father intends...!" He says with an outburst and immediately covers his mouth as he knows he has said too much. "What...-What do you mean?" I say carefully. I watch him as he lifts his eyes towards mine. "Lissa... " he begins to respond and then runs off, as fast as he can. "ERIC!" I yell but he doesn't turn around. I replay in my mind what he has just said. His father is... Going to do what?This isn't right. Something is going on and I have to find out.

Eric and I, because of our fathers relationship we have to be married in twelve moons. Not that he has feeling for me which I'm sure he doesn't. We have to lead together the next generation of humans but under the circumstances, I'm not sure Lord Tryanth is too happy about his sons suitor.

I sigh and rub my temple, taking slow steps towards my house. The big grand building, is towards the middle of town so everyone can see how good it is. Expensive resources show off how this house has a massive marble archway around the door and intricate patterns that are in every corner of the walls. Flowers decorate the sidewalks into the gardens and I cant help but fell all this is too much. A large pair of oak wood door looms out infront of me, making me feel immature.

When I enter the door, large croaks erupt from it making me think twice before coming in noisily. Before I can enter my room I hear mums scolding voice. "There you are young lady, you are late!" She yells clearly upset. "I was coming!" I reply, which earns a smack to my face. "Obviously not fast enough!" She replies and I feel tears pricking my eyes, making them feel heavy as the sting rings on my face. I decide stay quiet as I'm lead to my room. "Make yourself look nice, we are going out to Lord Tryanth's house for dinner and I expect you to act normal! No more taking about the fence infront of The Lord ok?" I hear mums yells from a mile away. "Of course mother!" I say kindly back which earns me a scowl.

I collapse on my bed as tears fall freely. Why does my life have to be so hard? It's just not fair. This world isn't fair, why so many secrets? I turn and stare out the window at the wall. It towers over us like a god and stops anything from getting in or out, and as far as I know, there is no gate out there. Trust me, I've tried plenty of times to find one.

I slip my gold dress on, and put my hair on top of my head in a stylish, intricate bun. Approving of myself in the mirror I practice being normal. My dress is a simple but nice design, it flows down just past the knees and sits around my shoulders where an elegant necklace sits so my chest isn't empty. "Reylissa! Time to leave!" I hear my sister call out. "You better have made yourself nice! Or I'll rip you out of bed!" She calls out again as I step out the door.

Mum nods in approval which is like winning the lottery for me but my sister frowns. "Why cant I have that dress?" She whines. "Because I gave it to her, to impress Eric" my father walks in. I don't even like Eric, but always have to do whatever my family says. Its nice because my father is the only one who buys good things for me. Obviously to make me marry Eric. I've never liked wearing dresses, which is very unusual for a girl of my age, 17. Even the homeless women and girls only wear dresses. My mind drifts to the dinner party. This is going to be a long painful night.