Chapter 6: Rhiannon

Ethan

_____________________________________________________________

After school I go Cedars Oak Independent Living, a retirement home where my Grandfather resides. Matt and Aaron always poke fun at me for visiting my Grandpa frequently but they don't understand. Nobody understands.

My Grandfather, Arthur Wallace is a World War II veteran, a good man and my own personal hero. So when Matt and Aaron ask me why I visit him so much I shrug and I tell them because he needs the company. My Grandfather has been living at the retirement home for nearly six years since Grandma passed and the person who placed him there, my Father, only visits when it's his birthday or a holiday. It's a sad thing to witness. My Father is the hardworking man he is today because of my Grandpa. It's sickening how he always chooses making money over seeing his own Father.

I have to keep up appearances for him and lie for him when Grandpa asks me what he's doing. I'm not doing it because my dad asks me to, I do it to help fill up that empty hole that's inside Grandpa's heart and because I love him. He's always happy to see me but sometimes I can tell by his sullen eyes that he wished it was my dad instead of me.

I arrive at three o'clock sharp. As I sign in at the front desk several staff members greet me. I'm on a first name basis with many of the staff as well as many of the residents. I've participated in their activities, I've eaten in the dining room, I've used the computers in their library and I've even walked their dogs. They make me feel special when I come here; they even have a name for me, Sweet Boy, a name I wouldn't dare utter to my friends.

After signing in I make my way up to the third floor where my Grandpa lives. When the elevator door opens I'm met with grand smiles and waves from the residents who are sitting in the lobby. I wave back at them and say hello to each one individually on my way to Grandpa's room.

I knock three times on the door, very loudly so he can hear me. Sometimes when he's by himself he takes his hearing aids out for whatever reason. After a few seconds pass he doesn't answer I knock again and again and again until he swings the door wide open.

"You need to stop knocking like a maniac, Ethan." He half yells standing in the doorway, eighty years of worry etched on his face.

"Sorry," I apologize. "I thought you had your hearing aids off."

"No, they're on." He points to both his ears to show that they are in fact on.

"Sorry, Grandpa," I say then walk past him entering his apartment. The apartments here are all the same: three rooms that consisted of a bedroom, a bathroom and a small kitchen that led to a small dining area. The rooms are bereft of color and filled with furniture, TV's and other stuff to make it feel like home....except it isn't home and it will never feel like home. This is a nice place but it's the kind of place people come to die.

"What brings you by today?" He asks closing the door behind him.

He asks me that every time I come over as if I have a special reason to come over and visit him.

"I'm here to see how you're doing," I say. I throw myself on the navy blue couch that overlooks the TV. "How are you doing?"

"I'm apparently still alive." He jokes. "Do you want something to drink?"

"No, I'm fine." I tell him but he doesn't accept my answer. My Grandfather is the most persistent person I know so to demonstrate that he's still very true to his ways he walks over to the fridge and name five different types of beverages.

"Grandpa, I told you I'm fin__"

"For God's sake, Ethan, please pick something." His voice comes out hard but the intention behind it is sweet.