Chapter 23: Kylie

Ethan

________________________________________________________________

How did I, an ill-fated boy in the department of girls and romance get to be so damn lucky?

How did I, nerd/geek extraordinaire get the hottest girl at school to kiss me?

How did, comic book connoisseur, never had a girlfriend score a date with one of the prettiest girls I've ever encountered?

In the past few days I've come up short with answers and you know what I don't need answers anymore. From now on I'm just going to let things happen, let the chips fall where they may without questioning anything. When the semester started my life was tumbling in a repetitive pattern that had me thinking that the universe hated me. I thought I was heading towards some ominous black hole that would eventually suck me into oblivion.

I will admit that I was wrong about the word change. It does exist, it does happen and I was dead wrong thinking that there would never be a change in my life. I've learned that all good things come to those who wait. I will sit back, enjoy and question nothing. That is the grand plan for tonight.

As I drive to Kylie's house I don't think about the questions I'm going to ask to fill the silences I know will eventually crawl in between us. I'm not going to question anyone who stares at me, wondering why I'm on a date with someone out of my league and I'm definitely not going to conjure up thoughts about what Rhiannon thinks of all this.

She's made it very apparent that she doesn't want me the way I want her. Sure, we kissed, sure it was awesome but I think she did it out of pity for me which really hurts. I for one I'm tired of pining after the same person. There are plenty of fishes in the sea and I've got my hook right on Kylie. It's what she wanted, it was her plan all along and it worked. Tonight, I'm going to push all thoughts of Rhiannon aside. The focus is on Kylie.

Kylie, Kylie, Kylie, I chant in my head as I pull in front of her house.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I've known for a week that this was going to happen and now the time has come and I don't know what the hell to do with myself. Walking up to the front porch my heart is pounding at a very unhealthy rate. What if I collapse in her front porch and the paramedics have to carry me away in an ambulance to the ER and we never make it to the concert? Oh fuck, I'm questioning things again. So much for that whole plan. I've got to get my shit together. We are going to the show, it's going to be awesome, and we're going to have a good time, no more questions.

I press on the door bell.

Ding dong!

No answer. After a few seconds I press it again. I hear footsteps, I assume its Kylie. I don't see other cars in the driveway beside hers. When the door swings open, my jaw drops. I pick it up only for it to drop again. She looks fucking awesome, like, extremely awesome in an edgy way. She's wearing dark jeans, boots, a graphic tee and this American flag bandana scarf thingy around her head with her hair long, silky straight and flowing like a dark brown curtain. I'm trying hard not to ogle but damn she looks so good I can't help it.

"Hey," she smiles brightly. "Come in."

I step over the threshold closing the door behind me.

"Did you find the house okay?" She asks.

"Yeah, I just put the address on the GPS on my phone."

"Great," she's still smiling. I think she might be as excited and nervous as I am. "It's kind of cold tonight, I'm gonna grab a jacket then we can go."