Part 1

I'm a musician. I compose music for a living. I write about everything under the sun but of course it all boils down to love or lack thereof. I seem to have a pretty good imagination because people who've heard me sing loved my songs. It calls out to them, tells them that they are not alone. And I can't help but feel a little bit envious because I have never felt it. All the love in the world and it hasn't chosen to land on me. But it changed that night when you came in to my life.

I was strumming my guitar, warming up for my set that was about to start in fifteen minutes when my friend came up to me.

"Clarke, here's my cousin that I've been telling you about, the one who just moved here."

I looked up lazily, not wanting to disrupt my rhythm. And there you were, standing and smiling at me. I don't know if it's the way your curly hair fell across your shoulders or the way you look so innocently out of place with your big black rimmed glasses but I felt a sudden rush of excitement that left my skin tingling. It was really like in the movies. I smiled back.

"This is Lexa and her girlfriend Costia," My friend continued.

My smile wavered for just a second. I didn't think anyone notice but you. The slight look of guilt appeared in your eyes for a second before you covered it up with another smile.

I supposed some other words were exchanged but I don't remember. Why would I want to know about you and your girlfriend? I don't want to invest in something that was bound to end badly. I felt your disappointment as I stood up and told everyone that I had to go get ready for my set.

"I can't wait to hear you sing," you shouted as a goodbye as I was already walking away. I had to stop and look back. And there you were again smiling as if I was the only person in the room.. that is until your girlfriend pulled you to go to your table or bathroom or the bar, somewhere far away from me. I shook my head as I turned around and hurried to the stage for the sound check.

After a few minutes, my band and I started our set. We usually start with something loud to get people on their feet, then we mellow it down for a few songs, and end it the way we started. It was usually a mix of covers and original songs. Since we sing here twice a month, the audience knew our songs and they usually sing along.

Of course when we started playing, the first person I saw was you. Or maybe you weren't but my eyes ignored everyone who was not you. And now I was looking at you, looking at me. I am in deep trouble.