Chapter 12

When I wake up in the morning I feel really hungry. I look at the clock on the nightstand. I've been sleeping for about twelve hours. No wonder I'm hungry. I hear rattling in the kitchen. Peeta must be making breakfast for me, or it would be lunch by now. It's almost noon already. When I am about to get up, Peeta comes through the door.

"Good morning, sunshine!" he says with a smile on his face. "I didn't think you would ever get out of there." he says, and walks up to me to give me a kiss. "How was your sleep?" he asks.

"Okay. Just a few nightmares, but they weren't so bad. I don't think I screamed or anything." I say, yawning.

"No, you didn't. Did you feel anything from the baby?" he asks, sitting down next to me and placing his hands over my stomach.

"Ummm... no, I don't think so." I say, putting my arms around Peeta's middle-section. He smiles.

"We're going to find out the gender today, Katniss." he says, and kisses me again.

"Yeah. Are you nervous?" I ask, because I am. I'm really, really nervous.

"Yeah, I am. Are you?" he asks, although I'm sure he knows the answer.

"Mhm." I say, hiding my face in his neck. Peeta lifts me up in bridal style and stands up.

"Phew! You're getting heavy!" he says and I snort.

"I'm only four months pregnant, I'm just starting to show!" I say to him, and we laugh. He sits down on the bed again and places one of his big, solid hands on my belly.

"It's enough for the little one to start kicking." he says, and just then, I feel a strong kick from the inside of my stomach.

"Whoa!" Peeta outbursts. We exchange shocked looks. This is the first time that the baby has kicked, Dr. Adams said that we could be expecting that soon. No wonder the baby kicked, Peeta has the best hands in the world. Warm, solid and strong, but also very gentle. I smile at him, and I see that he is smiling at me too. Then, I feel another kick, this one stronger than the previous.

"Whoa! Do you feel alright, Katniss? Are you in pain?" Peeta asks with a worried face.

"No, I'm fine. I guess she just likes your touch." I say and smile. Peeta looks puzzled.

"She?" he says, frowning.

"I don't know, I just feel like it's gonna be a girl. It's just this weird feeling I have." I say, smiling a little. I wonder if Peeta thinks I've gone crazy.

"Uh, okay. If you think so, you're probably right." he says with a smile and strokes my cheek. Of course he doesn't think I'm crazy. My stomach growls.

"Oh, sorry, I almost forgot that you haven't eaten yet. Now that you need to feed two persons, you have to eat whenever you're hungry." Peeta says, grabs my hand and pulls me up from the bed. I feel dizzy at the sudden movement.

"Uhhh..." I say, and Peeta looks at me.

"What's wrong?" he asks. He looks anxious.

"Nothing, I just feel a little dizzy." I say and put my hand to my forehead.

"Come on, then." Peeta says and lifts me up in his arms. He carries me downstairs and puts me down on a chair.

"What would you like to have for lunch, darling?" he says and smiles widely.

"Anything you would be kind enough to serve, my love." I say with a joking feel. Peeta comes over to kiss me and he says:

"What about fish fillets with vegetables? The doctor said that you will have to get a lot of vitamins and to have a varied diet, so I think that should be good." he says. He's always thinking about my best.

"Yeah, sure, that sounds nice." I reply. "I love you, Peeta." I say, and get up to kiss him.

"I love you too, Katniss." he says, and with that he starts to make me lunch. He already has made the vegetables, and he puts them in a bowl on the table. I start eating them, and in almost ten minutes, the bowl is empty. My stomach still isn't satisfied, but when I've eaten three fish fillets, I am full. After I've finished the meal, I walk upstairs to get dressed. Peeta follows me up. The appointment with Dr. Adams and our private nurse Lacey is in about an hour, and it takes about fifteen minutes to walk to the hospital, so we have to leave in half an hour. I put some simple and comfy clothes on, and go and lie on the bed beside Peeta. We lie there for a while, just holding hands and hugging each other, and when it is almost 1:30 PM we decide to start walking towards the hospital. When we are standing in the reception of the hospital, the woman at the desk says with her usual chirpy voice:

"Room twenty-nine, as usual."

We nod and walk towards room twenty nine. The door opens almost immediately when we get to it, and we step in.

"Hello, Peeta and Katniss, how have you been?" Lucy asks. It's funny, because our doctors have very similar names, Lucy and Lacey. Our private nurse Lacey is a small woman in her mid-twenties that has experienced three pregancies and births before. She is very factual and companionable, I like her very much. I'm glad I got a nurse that I can trust, because trust is very important to me. Peeta seems to like her too.

"Good." me and Peeta answer in unison. We laugh.

"That's great." Lucy says. "Now, have you been experiencing any new feelings since our last meeting?" she asks.

"Well, actually, the first kicks came this morning." Peeta says and kisses me. Lacey smiles.

"That was expected to happen, too." she says. "Good thing it happened before you came here." she says and smiles again.

"Well, have there been any other abnormal feelings?" Lucy asks. I shake my head. The morning sicknesses have stopped, I feel really relieved of that. I hated it. But except for the kicks, there has been no unusual feelings. Just the normal mood swings and long sleeps, nothing weird.

"Good, well, let's not keep you waiting. You probably want to know the gender of the baby?" Both me and Peeta nod and look at each other. I see that Peeta is nervous. I probably look nervous too. Lacey gets up from her chair and I follow her to the hospital bed that has been set in order for me. Peeta holds my hand the whole time. I lay down on it and Lacey sets the ultrasound machine in order. She puts gel on my stomach and I hear Peeta say:

"This is it." and kiss my temple.

"Yeah." I say, and stroke his cheek. "I still think it's a girl." I say and grin at Peeta. He smiles back. When a black and white picture pops up on the screen, Lacey says almost immediately:

"Ah! I think I know the gender! Let me see... yes! Mr. and Mrs. Mellark, you are expecting a baby girl!"

I look at Peeta, and he is smiling like he never has before. I smile too, and before I know it, I'm in the air. Peeta spins me around, even though my stomach is still sticky of gel. His shirt gets a lot of it on it, but neither of us care right now. We are having a baby girl! Just as I predicted.

"You guessed right!" Peeta says, and kisses me with passion. We kiss for a while, and then I remember that we are not alone. We break away and I blush, but Peeta just seems happy.

"Well, now your shirt is all smudgy with gel!" Lucy says to Peeta with a smile.

"Oh, it's alright, it was definately worth it." he says and kisses my cheek. I notice that my shirt is still curled up and the gel on my stomach has been spread everywhere. Lacey hands me a handkerchief and I wipe my stomach clean with it. Then I roll my shirt back down. I take Peeta's hand again and Lucy gives us a new time in two months, since there is not going to happen much with me in one month. We walk home happily and when we are there, Peeta makes us a romantic dinner with candles and roses on the table. We eat and kiss, and then we go to sleep, both of our hands resting over our baby girl. I can't believe that I am going to be holding her in my arms in only five months.