§5§

/TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of not eating/

It had been weeks since Duncan helped her get her necklace back from Carmelita. It took two weeks and he ended up having to do two months worth of Carmelita's homework to get it back. Renesmee helped him, of course but she still felt guilty. She glanced at the sleeping forms before carefully slipping out of their "room". She walked down the hall with no intention of a place. Slowly, she began to walk nowhere while getting lost in her mind.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Sunlight had crept up and shined down the school, entering windows and rooms. Duncan stirred when the sunlight entered through the windows and into the small cracks of the closet door. He sat up and looked around, wondering what time it was. He stood up, careful not to wake Isadora up before realizing Renesmee was gone. A small sigh left him. That was the fourth time he woke up to her gone. 

Duncan was confused, he thought Renesmee was starting to open up to them and trust them more. He shook his head as if to clear his thoughts before leaving the closet, walking the halls to try and find her.

It was hopeless in the end as the girl was nowhere to be found. He sighed and headed back to their "room." He was growing worried about Renesmee as the days passed. She wasn't eating like she was supposed to, only eating a few bites of the food that they received and it made him concerned. He didn't want anything to happen to her.

It was on his way back that he heard the noise of someone crying. He paused and followed the sound. In a corner of a dead end hall way sat Renesmee. She was sitting on the ground, her legs pulled into her chest, her head resting on her knees as she cried. Duncan frowned, crouching down beside her.

"Rene?" He asked quietly causing her head to shoot up.

"Duncan." She said, her hands flying to wipe her tears. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same." He replied. "Are you alright? You're not hurt right?"

She shook her head, sniffling. "No, I'm alright."

"If you were alright then you wouldn't be here crying." He spoke softly.

She sighed. "It's stupid, really. I should be over it."

"Just because you say you should doesn't mean you have to be." He held his hand out for her for support.

"Today is the anniversary of my parents death..they died when I was two so it's not like I knew them or anything." She explained, taking his hand. "But it still hurts because my life could've been so different..it could've been better with them in it."

"I can't say I get it but I know that you don't have to go through this day alone." He said. "Isadora and I are here for you no matter what, you're our friend."

"Thank you Duncan, I'm glad I have you as a friend." She smiled at him.

"I'm glad you're my friend too." He returned the smile. He helped her stand up. "Come on, let's go back to our closet and relax. We don't have school today so we don't have to worry about that or Carmelita."

"That sounds nice." She said. "Not having to worry about Carmelita."

Duncan nodded. "It is, come on." He led her back to their "room."

"Wait." She said, reaching out and setting an arm on Duncan's arm before he could enter the closet.

He turned to look at her, confused. She leaned forward and hugged him. "Thank you for not letting me be alone today."

Duncan hugged back. "Of course, I would never leave a friend to suffer alone."

She smiled and pulled away. "Okay, we can go in now." Duncan nodded and head into the broom closet, glad that he was able to help Renesmee.