Chapter Twenty-Nine

June 9, 2018

Maeve leaned her head back against Zach's chest, saying, "I've got to go," reluctantly. The performance was about to start, but Zach just tightened his arms around her waist a little more from behind, his head on top of hers.

"Last show," he sighed, a tinge of sadness in his voice. She rested her hand on his and squeezed lightly.

It was a bittersweet moment. The tour had been a beautiful one, full of priceless memories and unforgettable experiences, but both were a little disheartened to let it go. There would be more shows and tours in the future, but this one was special, and tonight it was coming to and end.

Zach seemed to shake himself of his previous mindset and swayed her in his arms a little.

"Well, good luck," she said, still a bit lost in the fact that they were actually together now. "Make this the best show yet, have fun and all that. I'll see you afterwards, okay?"

"M'kay," he muttered, ducking to press a kiss to her temple. It caught her off guard and she smiled as he released his grip on her.

"You're eager," she said.

"Oh, I've been eager," he quipped, backing away from her. "Now, I'm just allowed to show it."

***

Zach lifted his arm to point at the soundbooth, shamelessly directing his full attention to Maeve.

"'Cause I depend on you. When you need me you just call me, I'll be there. When you look over your shoulder, I'll be there. You don't ever have to worry, 'cause I depend on you. I depend on you," he sang, and all she could do was smile as she forced herself to look down again.

The show came to an end all too quickly.

The crowd roared as the five boys huddled in a circle, hugging each other tightly and exchanging words only they could hear.

Then, with beautiful smiles and expressions of gratitude, they lined up at the front of the stage to take their final bow together.

Maeve stared at Zach as the screams surrounding her dulled to a buzz, watching as the group parted and he moved to a different position on the stage, grinning at the fans with his mic held against his chest. And she knew.

She knew then without a single doubt in her mind that what Kendra had said was wrong. What she had with the boy her eyes couldn't falter from was real, authentic, and true. He cared for her as much as she did for him—he made it apparent in everything he did. Her age had nothing to do with how she felt, her experiences in the past could not keep her from him.

She wasn't too young to be in love.

She was smiling as she pulled the lights down on the soundboard, blanketing the venue in darkness.

the end

As always, all I can say is thank you. Thank you for your nearly-immediate responses to a new book, and thank you for all your comments, feedback, and support. You are all amazing. I love you.