Chapter Twenty-Seven

June 7, 2018

Maeve worked quickly backstage of the venue in Milan, hands running over Jack's handheld microphone.

"There you go," she said, handing it to him. "I'll have another sent back in case that one gives you more problems."

He nodded, thanking her, and she turned hastily on her heel to return to the soundbooth; Eben was scheduled to open the show in less than two minutes.

She moved quickly, but someone caught her wrist and pulled her back. Zach was there in the dim light, and she smiled despite her rush.

"Hey," he said, "I know you've got to go, but I need to talk to you after the show."

She stilled, looking over his face.

"Why so serious?" she asked lightly.

He didn't react to her question, just watched her silently.

"I'm nervous now," she added, but he shook his head, squeezed her hand, and pushed her in the direction of the soundbooth with a small smile on his face.

***

Zach glanced around in confirmation that he and Maeve were alone, grabbing one of her hands.

She looked up at him; he met her eyes.

"So," he began softly, "I don't have anything big planned, but... I figured we've both waiting a stupid and excessive amount of time pretending, and I know I don't want to wait anymore."

She knew what was coming, a gentle smile pulling at the corners of her mouth.

"Maeve Orland...."

He trailed off, staring at her. She raised an eyebrow, and he let out a breathy laugh, mirroring her expression before recovering.

"Mae, will you be my girlfriend?"

She nodded, grinning now. She held onto the sleeve of his jacket.

"Yes."

And he was smiling too as he pulled her into his arms, a situation they often found themselves in, but never tired of.

"Hey," he said against her ear, "you know what this is made of?"

The hands wrapped around her back tugged at her sweatshirt. She didn't get a chance to respond because then came his answer.

"Girlfriend material."

She hit his shoulder, disappointed in his basic approach with the overused, cheesy pick up line. But she laughed anyway.